Big Brother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridgie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do schools know you were accepted by other med schools before May 15th? Many people have told me that they know, but I can't figre out how.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh believe me, they're talking to each other. Especially the MSTP programs and the MD programs that are close to each other in location. Some will even ask you at interviews where else you've interviewed and if you've been accepted anywhere.

Just be honest and don't worry about it. They're also trying to sort out where they think you would fit best (and where you will actually go!).

Yeah I have experienced that on interviews but now I am on a couple waitlists and a few holds and I was told that now these schools know that I have been accepted and this will influence their decisions. I can't imagine they are talking to each other about me since my stats are pretty mediocre, is there a secret AMCAS site that they all use to see when deposits are sent in or soemthing?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS sends them a list of schools that you have been accepted too, so it's not magic!:rolleyes:

Before May 15th?!

So THIS is how they're wasting their time instead of actually interviewing more people or handling the ones who are waiting forever to hear from them. :mad:

Hmm I don't know if I can believe that. How many times would they update that list? It seems illegal for AMCAS to do that without it being public knowlegde...

They do it on May 15. By the way it is public knowledge. There is NO breach of confidentiality on this issue. AMCAS has the right to do this so people don't hold multiple spots and screw those who are on waitlists. Also, it's to make sure that med schools fill their classes and don't have tons of people dropping them at the last minute.:eek:

Oh. I am totally aware that a list is sent out on May 15th. My question was how can schools get that info before May 15th. :)

I don't know how the adcoms get this information, but they definitely have it prior to May 15 - i.e. now. I don't know if they know what other schools have offered you an acceptance, but they most definitely know where you are holding spots in other classes. I specifically asked the dean of admissions at one of my interviews about this. He told me that in spite of this knowledge, holding other acceptances was not a factor that deterred this particular school from offering you an acceptance.

Yeah I bet when you hand in a deposit they register it to AMCAS so they don't have to do it all at once in May. I bet this info is open to all schools and it is just our responsibility to cut it down to 1 school by May but they can watch your standing this whole time or something...

I have it from a reliable source that the schools know where the candidates have the acceptances from on March 1st onwards. After May15th it is more an issue of the candidate holding just one acceptance. So, the answer to your question is that schools if they are interested in finding where all a candidate has been accepted can do so via the AMCAS on March 1st onwards. My source is reliable and I am sure of this information.

Regardless of this information, I believe (my opinion) that the schools do try to get the best possible candidates for their own schools so I don't think that they would reject anyone just like that on the basis of numers of acceptances. Also each school has certain profile or standards they strive to maintain/achieve in each of their classes. Simply put if the numbers are okay then the philosophy of the schools operating principles and your essay/interview needs to gel together for an unwavering outright acceptance.

cheers,
zingy