BIG dreams and just not realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwongdr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- I was accepted to St. George but wanted to know if I should go or wait around this application cycle to give it another shot this year.

Two YEARs AGO:
UC Berkeley Undergraduate 2.7 BCPM 2.6
UC Berkeley Graduate School. Microbiology MS 4.0
MCAT 33S (V: 11 B: 12 : P 10)
4 years of research: 2 publications
3 years of volunteer

I was rejected at all 20 schools I applied, only one interview.

THIS year application:

I took a year off and did 48 units of extension coursework (1 year) GPA=4.0 ------> raised undergrad overall to 3.14 and BCPM 3.12.

undergrad: 3.14 overall and BCPM 3.12

As you can see, the undergrad GPA is what is different this time around. I worked to make the 3.0 cutoff.

My MCAT will expire after this year so this is my last shot before I have to retake it, if necessary.

Schools applied this year:
1. UCLA 2. UCSF 3. UC Davis 4. UCSD 5. Einstein 6. CHIcago Pritz 7. NYU
8. ALBANY 9. RUSH

Question: should i go to st. george or do you think i should stick and fight this out? i don't know what to do since i would have to take the mcat again if it doesn't work out. and i'm already 29 years old, i don't feel like waiting again.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Going to the Carib. will get you the M.D. you desire. It is definately a valid option. Things to keep in mind when going to a "foreign" school:

1) It will be more challenging to get into "the life-style" specialties (Radiology, Ophthal, ENT, Derm, Urology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics). Notice I said harder, but NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

2) The more important issue is licensure. Although St.George/Ross grads are practicing in all 50 states, and allowed to apply for licensure in all 50 states, SOME states have set up strict guide-lines for lisencure of "foreign" grads. Take Texas as an example. Yes, we can apply for lisencure in Texas, but Texas will come up with zillion excuses to avoid giving us the license. This means, to get a License in Texas, we might need to apply with a Lawyer by our side. Keep in mind that this is a NEW thing going on in Texas. Texas had definately licensed St. George/Ross grads IN THE PAST.

And as for California, You need to do ALL YOUr ROTATIONS (cores and electives) at teaching hospitals that HAVE AN ACGME RESIDENCY PROGRAM IN THE FEILD YOU ARE DOING THE ROTATION IN. There are no exceptions. Even though you hear that St. George and Ross are "California appoved", this means nothing if you did any rotation at a non-acgme site that does not host a residency program in the field of your rotation. Also keep in mind that this is not an easy requirement to accomplish, despite what you hear from other students.

I am not trying to discourage you from going to the Carib, I am just giving you some real facts that you might have to deal with if you choose to go to a "foreign" school.

That being said, St. George is a great school, and in my opinion, the best alternative to a US allopathic school.

Good Luck.

why not apply to a lot of schools (like 20 or 25). I noticed that you didn't have a lot of schools like drexel, rosalin franklin, SLU, Temple, Jefferson, NYMC, MCV/VCU, etc... that have lower averages and tend to be more forgiving especially to someone with a 33 MCAT and a 4.0 in an MS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
unless you have your AMCAS ready to go, i suggest going to the carr...with the improvement with ur post bacc work, i would have definitely reapplied this year.

gl!

Try again! You sound too good for the Caribbean!

I think you should try again, too. But apply to some more schools-research for ones that you think you have a good chance-talk to admissions advisors. Its seems like you ought to be able to get in.
Then again, if you are content going to the caribbean-you should go. I know how sick I am of the whole application process.
Good luck to you! :thumbup:

jwongdr said:
8. ALBANY 9. RUSH

Question: should i go to st. george or do you think i should stick and fight this out? i don't know what to do since i would have to take the mcat again if it doesn't work out. and i'm already 29 years old, i don't feel like waiting again.

You'll probably get more positive results if you apply this cycle, considering you're gpa improvement. If you are going to apply to US schools again, please consider applying to more schools and a wider range. You don't want to wait again, so do it right the second time- spend more $ applying to more schools and apply to DO schools.

I would recommend applying to a wider range of U.S. schools. I would add UCI and USC, cut out UCSF, and add other private schools out of state such as Drexel, NYMC, and other schools with lower averages. I really think you could make it in the U.S. Good luck! :luck:

you need to go ahead and reapply this year. at least you have something different about your application. your stats are really good and if it were me I would try again!! you can do it.

Can you get a deferral from St. George? I wanted to finish my masters in peace without worrying about having a spot in medical school 4 months later. My scores were also going to expire. So i applied to MD and DO schools this year, got into one, asked for a deferral (had a good reason, which might be difficult for you) and got it. Ironically, i am now struggling with having to choose between MD and DO and have to make my decision this week... So, i'm going to post my own thread and see what others have to say.

By the way, your profile looks great; i am surprised you did not get in your first time around. Makes me wonder! Good luck with your decision. This hellish process has taught me that we tend to make things work out for ourselves in the long run. Have you thought about applying to other schools that look for alternative students? Age and non-medical experience has helped me.

jwongdr said:
8. ALBANY 9. RUSH

Thanks!

This is a not a good list of schools to apply to considering your credentials and past application.

UCLA, UCSF, U Chicago, UCSD, UCD and NYU are all REACH schools for you. Go ahead and apply but add about 20 more schools.

Definitely add USC and UCI since you are a cali resident.

Also add about 15-18 private schools that accept a lot of out of staters but are not ivy league caliber. Going to NYMC, St. Louis, MCOW, Drexel or the likes is still better than going to St. Georges.

should have applied to more schools

jwongdr said:
Hey guys- I was accepted to St. George but wanted to know if I should go or wait around this application cycle to give it another shot this year.

Two YEARs AGO:
UC Berkeley Undergraduate 2.7 BCPM 2.6
4 years of research: 2 publications
3 years of volunteer

I was rejected at all 20 schools I applied, only one interview.

THIS year application:

I took a year off and did 48 units of extension coursework (1 year) GPA=4.0 ------> raised undergrad overall to 3.14 and BCPM 3.12.

undergrad: 3.14 overall and BCPM 3.12

As you can see, the undergrad GPA is what is different this time around. I worked to make the 3.0 cutoff.

My MCAT will expire after this year so this is my last shot before I have to retake it, if necessary.

8. ALBANY 9. RUSH

Thanks!

Wow...didn't realize that your undergrad GPA affects your app that much. Your mcat score is great and your 4.0 shows obvious improvement in your grades, i'm surprised you didn't get in the first time. That said....what schools did you apply to....it seems like your current batch of schools dont' have any 'lower tiered' med schools. I had a friend with excellent stats (above 30, above 3.5 at top school) but she only applied to ivy and CA schools, got waitlisted on a couple. She didn't have too many extra curriculars and research etc, so that hurt her app. She reapplied to schools with less selective admissions (SLU etc) and got into at least one. Maybe it's not your stats that's the problem but your choice of US schools? Just a thought. :)

i was wondering how you went about improving your undergrad gpa? i have similar stats to your initial overall and science gpa, and need to improve them but am not sure how to. did you do a post bacc program, or did you take individual courses at independent universities?

Goober said:
This is a not a good list of schools to apply to considering your credentials and past application.

UCLA, UCSF, U Chicago, UCSD, UCD and NYU are all REACH schools for you. Go ahead and apply but add about 20 more schools.

Definitely add USC and UCI since you are a cali resident.

Also add about 15-18 private schools that accept a lot of out of staters but are not ivy league caliber. Going to NYMC, St. Louis, MCOW, Drexel or the likes is still better than going to St. Georges.
Listen to this guy/gal.
peace and good luck :)
~sunflower

Azalia- I did all upper division hard core science (molecular cell, biochem, pharm, neuroanatomy, etc), at UC extension, no formal post bac. If you are going to do that, make sure DON'T take any easy courses!! it doesn't make sense to do it. when i decide to go on that journey, i told myself that it will be long, hard , and difficult. If I go easy on myself, I am not being realistic and only waste time and money. AND DON'T GET A SINGLE B, NOTHING LESS THAN A-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I would DEFINATELY reapply.! Your stats have really improved since undergrad. I did not do well in undergrad, but I think my Master's and research helped me get in. DEFINATELY pick up a MSR book (sp?) that gives you all the stats of the various schools (their ave. GPA, MCAT, age, etc of entering medical students) and apply to MORE schools. GOOD LUCK and be persistant! It pays off!

Oh, and I forgot to add: continue clinical volunteer activites. It seems to be a key with many adcom people.

You might want to consider applying to D.O. schools. If some of those undergrad courses you took were repeats, they will replace your old grades for the D.O. school application process.

I can understand your graduate degree not affecting you all that much, as they are notoriously inflated.

Best of luck, man. And yes, apply to more schools.

apply to more schools...i def think ur gonna get in this time around....u have gr8 improvement....carribean is ur last resort