Big FAT C in Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikki79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I need a brutally honest reply. I am a chemistry major and this semester I made the horrible mistake of taking 20 credits. I did this in a semester when I was taking Biochemistry,Physical Chemistry and Differential Equations in addition to three other courses. Plus I also work part time.
Needless to say, overloading was a bad idea and I ended up with four A's , a B in Physical Chemistry and a big fat ugly C in Biochemistry of all classes!!!!!!!!!! This dropeed my cumulative GPA down to a 3.7.
I have not taken the DATs yet but I won't waste my money if there is NO chance of me getting into dental school.
This is my first C ever, but it is in a course that kinda reflects my ability to handle medical school since it is a medical school class. I'm so disappointed in myself for overloading and messing myself up.
Please let me know if there is still hope.If there is, what type of DAT scores do I need to compensate for my GPA dropping and the C in Biochemistry.
Please be brutally honest. Real life experiences to back up your opinion will be greatly appreciated. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. You have absolutely no chance of getting into Dental School. I think you better "fall back" on applying to medical schools and take the MCAT. With a lowly 3.7 you will never get in anywhere. I'm sorry. There is no hope.

Puh-lease! If you were smart enough to get a 3.7 in college as a chem major you should be smart enough to know that just one C alone in Biochem is not reason enough for you not to get in. Don't you know that the ave GPA in the US to get into D. Schools is around a 3.3? DO SOME RESEARCH!!! Keep up the good work... and Merry Christmas!!!

4.oo (and no, that's not my gpa)

:D :rolleyes: :eek: :p

hey shikki, I find it really funny that you posted the same thing on another forum saying that you hadn't taken the MCAT's yet. If you're not careful someone might think that you aren't serious and are just showing off your grades. (Whether they be real or otherwise)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses. Yes I posted my concern on three the pre-dentistry, optometry and medical boards because I am going to apply to all three types of schools and take all three corresponding boards in addition to the GRE. They are all very specialized health professions and I was concerned about my chances in all three because I don't think they would differ much. I don't even know the people in the boards and genuinely wanted advice. If I even believed that my grades were worth "showing off" as you said I could do that with people I know not anonymous people on boards. I have better things to do with my time.
Thanks for your response however and all responses which I may have gotten either here or in the other boards where I have posted messages.

You posted the same question in the other forum.

Why are you making such a big deal out of getting a C in biochemistry? Your GPA is fine and despite your comment, I think you are expecting some kind of admiration because you got a C in biochem and took calculus and physical chemistry(it is not like you are taking them because you are smart, because they are required for chem-majors).
Just because you got a C in biochem does not mean you are smart! :p

A single C brought your GPA down by 0.3? That is a pretty big drop because if you are an upper division student and have taken many classes and got Bs and As, a single C does not change your GPA significantly. Just don't dwell on it too much because you were taking too many classes and working too much(thus giving you the benefit of the doubt about the single C).

I think you are a very hardworking and bright student(no sarcasm). ;)