Big Beautiful Bill - Tuition Question (Ortho Residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OncePreDent

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I am already over $200k in debt from federal loans and will be applying to residency this year. Will I be eligible for federal loans for residency?

Also, for next year's 1st year dental students, will they all be capped at $200k and that's all they get for 4-years?
 
If I am already over $200k in debt from federal loans and will be applying to residency this year. Will I be eligible for federal loans for residency?
The way I read the bill, as long as your education is continuous you will be able to use grad plus loans for ortho residency as long as you graduate before 2030. Also, please do not spend 100k+ on Ortho if your debt is 300k+ already.
Also, for next year's 1st year dental students, will they all be capped at $200k and that's all they get for 4-years?
Correct. 50k is the max per year with a cap of 200k.
 
The way I read the bill, as long as your education is continuous you will be able to use grad plus loans for ortho residency as long as you graduate before 2030. Also, please do not spend 100k+ on Ortho if your debt is 300k+ already.
It's really only feasible to go to ortho for hospital-based programs than with the new bill. I don't know how residency programs like NYU, Roseman, USC, and so so so many more are going to stay in business with how they operate. I know Roseman University's ortho program has been increasing its tuition Y/Y $10k per year for the last 3 years.

It's going to be really interesting to see what these programs say/do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's really only feasible to go to ortho for hospital-based programs than with the new bill. I don't know how residency programs like NYU, Roseman, USC, and so so so many more are going to stay in business with how they operate. I know Roseman University's ortho program has been increasing its tuition Y/Y $10k per year for the last 3 years.

It's going to be really interesting to see what these programs say/do.
Don't be surprised to see tuition residency programs start to fill with wealthy international students as no American in their right mind would take out private loans for this. But I agree, many will likely close down. These next 5-10 years we will see lots of changes in dentistry. Perhaps the most we've seen in 50 years.
 
Don't be surprised to see tuition residency programs start to fill with wealthy international students as no American in their right mind would take out private loans for this. But I agree, many will likely close down. These next 5-10 years we will see lots of changes in dentistry. Perhaps the most we've seen in 50 years.
I was thinking this exact thing. Like look at Programs like GSO, the majority of the residents are international residents. I think that will be the norm for those orthodontic programs.

It's kind of exciting to see this bill happen because the cost of dental school and residency has gotten way out of hand.
 
my understanding is that students who have previously used grad plus loans will be grandfathered in, and able to use them until 2029. However, it sounds like students are only able to continue using grad plus loans at their "existing institution". I'm not sure if a student would be eligible and grandfathered in for more grad plus loans if they graduate dental school this year and start an ortho residency at a different institution. Is that accurate?
Hmm I was looking at the bill too, and I kind of doubt it because it would also be for a different degree. But I am not sure.

I think it is probably safest to assume that there will be no federal loans for people who have over $200k+ debt from dental school.
 
The way I read the bill, as long as your education is continuous you will be able to use grad plus loans for ortho residency as long as you graduate before 2030.
So this means that those graduate from dental schools and take gap year(s) to work as a general dentist before going back to residency will not be eligible to borrow more from Grad Plus loans?
 
Im pretty sure there’s a 4year sunset for those starting next year; so the cap will still apply after 4 years