"Big Name" neurology researchers in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I have the chance to do a research rotation for 3 months in NYC this summer. I want to work with someone who is regarded as a big name and who publishes often with the hopes of getting a paper and a good LOR. I know it is said that it is better to do research with someone who knows you rather than someone who won't but I would like to try and bridge the two entities, if possible.

I also know this is a stupid question, but are there any big name neurologists in NYC who do research?

As an aside, who are the big name (if any) neurologists at the Mayo Clinic?

Thank you and apologies for the stupid question; just trying to make my application as strong as possible to make up for deficiencies.

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest names aren't always the best to do a project with. If you go to a huge lab with a famous PI then you'll more than likely wind up as a small cog in a big machine, if you publish you'll be way down the list of authors and with little autonomy, and you may or may not ever get to know the PI well enough for a convincing LOR. A small lab with an up and coming PI might be a better bet as they a) often need the help, b) will be doing more pilot work that's conducive to a smaller project, and c) will be more likely to appreciate your help and get to know you well enough for a LOR. That's been my (limited) experience, anyway.