Big names in orthognathic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DownFracture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who would you consider to be the "big names" in orthognathic surgery? That is, they do a lot of cases, have made big contributions to the field, etc... William Arnett? Timothy Turvey? Larry Wolford? Jeffrey Posnick?

If you had to have orthognathic surgery and wanted to choose the "best" who would be on your list?

Members don't see this ad.

Turvey or Blakey, but maybe I'm just biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
DR. ROGER KALLAL, CHICAGO IL.
He did the second le fort I osteotomy in USA in the 60´s.!!!

I second the UNC crew (Blakey, Turvey, Ochs, Tiwana)

Reactions: 1 user
Harold Hargis. He coined the term orthognathic. Studied with Obwegeser.

Ofcourse Johan Reyneke in South Africa, his book is great too!
Stuart Super in NY, not much publications but a lot of cases and an orthognathic fellowship program
Also Sacks and Ruggerio group out in LI do a ton of cases and publish some research in orthognathics...

Who would you consider to be the "big names" in orthognathic surgery? That is, they do a lot of cases, have made big contributions to the field, etc... William Arnett? Timothy Turvey? Larry Wolford? Jeffrey Posnick?

If you had to have orthognathic surgery and wanted to choose the "best" who would be on your list?

I've heard the most amazing things about Bill Arnett... not to mention you get to spend a few weeks in Santa Barbara :).

If you want the best, you have to pay for the best.

If you're looking to train under someone, Dr. Stringer at Loma Linda probably does the most orthognathic cases of any training program that I am familiar with.

I just worked with Dr Stringer today...he says he's booked solid with orthognath for the next two months...super nice guy to boot
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a surgeon to perform my surgery. Above all, I want someone who does a ton of cases, is well respected and has contributed to the field. So far I've considered Arnett and Turvey. Arnett currently does 1-2 cases/week and Turvey does about 150/year.

How many cases does Dr. Stringer perform per year?

A friend of mine had her surgery completed by Dr. Blakey, and she gave him rave reviews. In addition, the dude is well respected not only at my dental school, but throughout the OMFS community as well. Just thought I'd plug another name in there.

I would not recommend traveling for this type of surgery. Recovery is a few weeks and if there are any complications, including small ones you want to be by your surgeon. Plus your surgeon needs to be able to work with your orthodontist. A good orthodontist is just as important as the surgeon. I guarantee there is someone capable in PHoenix. You need to ask around to multiple orthos and OMS' in town. Unless you are in the 5% of really bad deformities you will have someone who can handle it there. If having trouble contact Jim Bertz in Scottsdale and ask him/his office who they would recommend in town

I would not recommend traveling for this type of surgery. Recovery is a few weeks and if there are any complications, including small ones you want to be by your surgeon. Plus your surgeon needs to be able to work with your orthodontist. A good orthodontist is just as important as the surgeon. I guarantee there is someone capable in PHoenix. You need to ask around to multiple orthos and OMS' in town. Unless you are in the 5% of really bad deformities you will have someone who can handle it there. If having trouble contact Jim Bertz in Scottsdale and ask him/his office who they would recommend in town

I totally agree with this post. Do you have an orthodontist yet? One guy I would look into is Dr. John Graham. He is an orthodontist in the Phoenix area that actually completed his oral surgery residency then when into orthodontics (crazy!). I've heard him speak several times and he's very knowledgeable. He does a lot of speaking for Ormco (Damon brackets, etc.) and he has a good reputation within the orthodontic community. I personally don't know him, but former classmate of mine (ortho) speaks highly of him.
He may be a good local resource for you.
http://litchfieldparkortho.com/AboutOurOffice/MeetDrGraham/tabid/58/Default.aspx

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input. I already have an orthodontist. I don't really feel comfortable with any of the surgeons in the Phoenix area. There are a few who could do it...but they either don't do too many or I just didn't feel comfortable with them. And then there is insurance coverage...because the surgery can be super expensive ($50k +), I have to consider in-network surgeons.

The OMFS team at Michigan does quite a bit