Big Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MINV34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad and am going to be entering my junior year next semester. This is a question regarding what would serve me best in order to get into med school. Currently I have a job at an insurance company. I've been there for 5 years (since I was 14). While searching online and talking to others, I have been told that I need a job in the medical field. Would it be best to keep the job I currently have and at the time of applying for med school have it for about 8-9 years, or begin a new job now at a hospital. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MINV34 said:
I am an undergrad and am going to be entering my junior year next semester. This is a question regarding what would serve me best in order to get into med school. Currently I have a job at an insurance company. I've been there for 5 years (since I was 14). While searching online and talking to others, I have been told that I need a job in the medical field. Would it be best to keep the job I currently have and at the time of applying for med school have it for about 8-9 years, or begin a new job now at a hospital. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Hmm...good question. My intuition says it'd probably be better to find a more medically related job unless you're also volunteering at a hospital for significant amounts of time or involved in research part time. Although being at one place for so long would look good, I worry you wouldn't have much medical experience to talk about at your interviews. That's just my opinion though :)