Biggest interview mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think the main reasons I didn't get in last time around were lack of clinical exposure (I've worked on this to a large extent in the past year) and, for lack of a better way to put this, not coming off well in interviews.

What are the biggest interviewing mistakes, in your opinion?

I suspect, in my case:

1. Coming off as too buddy-buddy with interviewers.
2. Wearing makeup and high heels (WRONG.)
3. Seeming too certain about what specialty I am interested in (though this is debatable, because as one person who read my PS this year suggested, it may not seem unreasonable that I should have a direction of interest by this point in my life.)
4. Not seeming determined enough about medicine as opposed to research.

THOUGHTS? What are other big mistakes?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, off topic...

My father did his Peace Corps time not far from Addis Ababa. Just curious...what program were you working with during your time there?

hermit said:
Sorry, off topic...

My father did his Peace Corps time not far from Addis Ababa. Just curious...what program were you working with during your time there?

I'm working with a professor from Hadassah hospital in Jerusalem, Israel, but it isn't a program. Also, I'm really only going for a month, so I would never aspire to a comparison with something as heavily invested as Peace Corps. Hats off to your dad. But if you're looking to volunteer, this orphanage (Mother Teresa Missionaries of Charity Orphanage in Asco, Addis Ababa) is very open to volunteers and is a good place to be relatively: it's well organized, the kids are treated medicinally and there are very reasnable accomodations for volunteers. I hear there's even hot water, which is far more than I'd ask for. PM usrael for more info - he just came back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have questions to ask at the end of the interview when your interviewer asks you, "Do you have any questions?" Ask them even if you already know the answer.

One should have a firm (but not crushing) handshake, speak with an audible, confident voice, go very light on the cologne or perfume, sit with good posture and not cross one's arms during the interview, make plenty of eye contact, come up with a couple decent questions about the institution prior to the interview...

Makeup isn't necessarily a bad idea - just not Tammy Fae Baker type makeup. A light, natural look is good. Wear sensible shoes (but lots of people won't) - as in shoes YOU FEEL COMFY IN. Before I busted my ankle to crapola I was actually very comfortable in spike heels. No kidding. I could even run in them. Seriously.

Do NOT allow your answers to sound rehearsed. Make sure you put some thought into your answers.

Don't be afraid to ask a thought provoking question of your own. My personal favorite? "What is the one thing *you* would change about this school and why?" Also a goodie: "what don't you want applicants to know about this school that would make them think twice about coming here?" I'll get some flames about this one, but I've gotten some really good answers to those.

dopaminesurge said:
So I think the main reasons I didn't get in last time around were lack of clinical exposure (I've worked on this to a large extent in the past year) and, for lack of a better way to put this, not coming off well in interviews.

What are the biggest interviewing mistakes, in your opinion?

I suspect, in my case:

1. Coming off as too buddy-buddy with interviewers.
2. Wearing makeup and high heels (WRONG.)
3. Seeming too certain about what specialty I am interested in (though this is debatable, because as one person who read my PS this year suggested, it may not seem unreasonable that I should have a direction of interest by this point in my life.)

THOUGHTS? What are other big mistakes?

Hey, what is the problem with wearing makeup? Do you think you were wearing too much? I always wear some concealer, powder, blush, eyeliner, a light eyeshadow, mascara and a natural lipstick to interviews.

As for high heels, I don't see how that is a mistake unless you can't walk in them or don't regularly wear them and so were awkward in them.

ShyRem said:
Makeup isn't necessarily a bad idea - just not Tammy Fae Baker type makeup. A light, natural look is good. Wear sensible shoes (but lots of people won't) - as in shoes YOU FEEL COMFY IN. Before I busted my ankle to crapola I was actually very comfortable in spike heels. No kidding. I could even run in them. Seriously.

Do NOT allow your answers to sound rehearsed. Make sure you put some thought into your answers.

Don't be afraid to ask a thought provoking question of your own. My personal favorite? "What is the one thing *you* would change about this school and why?" Also a goodie: "what don't you want applicants to know about this school that would make them think twice about coming here?" I'll get some flames about this one, but I've gotten some really good answers to those.

oh yeah, you better believe i'm gonna wear makeup to my interviews! what's the point of my supercute suits if i'm not going to put in the extra effort to look good? ;)

also, going off of the above...what are some of the most outrageous ?s you all have faced? ...and what were your answers??

Hmm... Ok, maybe makeup isn't an unambiguous evil. I thought maybe I came off as vain (my reputation on this board, not-so-ironically :rolleyes: ) I planned, this time around, to stick to foundation and maybe some natural blush and brown mascara. That was more or less what I had last time, though, and I still felt they saw right through me. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

I saw this episode of House where he refuses to take a girl as a resident for wearing high heels. Heh. I thought maybe there's something to it. Television is life, right?

And no real outrageous questions, but when someone asked me what I thought the biggest problems were with healthcare, I babbled like a *****. I'll be getting to many of the books off LizzyM's reading list, I believe.

I dunno about outrageous, but I've had some thought-provokers. Some I thought about, some I just shot back an answer immediately that just refused to stay in my big mouth.

"I noticed you're married - do you realize that more than 50% of all marriages don't last through medical school?"

"Why did you take and what did you learn from this class?" about a class I got a D in 20 years ago.

I think the toughest one for me was my biggest weakness question. I gave an honest answer, and my interviewer put his pen down, leaned back in his chair, smiled and said "SO..... how do you see that fitting into a medical career?" Oh, my. Kill me now..... it was actually ok. I was honest, he was honest, and the interview was really pretty good.

when i told the interviewer that i hadn't voted in california's special election because it was the same day as my interview in new york, he looked like i had just grown an anus in my forehead. i got the rejection letter a few weeks later.

dopaminesurge said:

Are you talking about MD vs. MD/PhD or MD vs. PhD? If MD vs. MD/PhD, what made you think this was a bad thing? Not having significant exposure to research, I definitely fall into this category. Did you receive feedback on this?

Thanks!

be careful when you state political opinions - or even healthcare opinions that mihgt give away political beliefs. I had an interviewer who didn't like my politics and just went off on me for fifteen minutes.... and then, be ready for anything your first interview. The above happened to me on my first interview and I wasn't sure what to do throughout the rest of the interview.
Have a firm reason you want to go into medicine. I do have one, but it wasn't fully realized at first interview. I did a poor job of explaining my reason... anyway, I got a flat out rejection from that school and I'm quite certain my interview had everything to do with it - which stunk a bit cuz it was my state school. $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
at one of the schools I interviewed at, I was asked about my sports activities and if I was any good and I replied with "you're damn right I'm good." I was put on the waitlist, but I withdrew.

Nothing wrong with a standard level of makeup that most women use on a daily basis.

Also, I found it important to remember that you are asking to be GRANTED admission, you are by no means GAINING admissions.

LUBDUBB said:
Also, I found it important to remember that you are asking to be GRANTED admission, you are by no means GAINING admissions.

What the heck is this dude talking about? this makes no sense to me, you are absolutely GAINING admission.

In a hiring position I have hired a number of staff, and it amazes me what some people say!! I was interviewing for an entry level position and had a girl tell me she gave a male stripper a handy!!!

That is just 1 of a number of shockers -

for all the rookies reading this thread, let me add that making good eye contact while you are interviewing is VERY important. Do NOT let your eyes flutter around while you are talking.

I asked a med student about the 3rd and 4th years. I asked, "So, what exactly do you do? I've heard about scutwork and the poor experiences some people have had during their rotations, and I was wondering what rotations are like at <name of school>."

The med student kindly replied by telling me he despises the term scutwork, he feels whatever is "best for the patient" is the kind of crap you ought to deal with in rotations, and he basically was pretty crass with me thereafter.

He did have a role on the committee, and I think our dialogue gave him a bad impression of me. So the moral of the story: ask questions that can never be interpreted as a negative about you. For me, I want to minimize scut work and maximize meaningful learning experiences during rotations. I am not interested in fetching a resident coffee from the cafetaria and making copies of a paper at the xerox machine for the next conference. This was a BAD THING to let them know, on my part, because apparently, I'm supposed to be perky about everything, including the mundane aspects.

I've always heard (from adcom members) that a HUGE mistake is to fail the question, "what will you do if you don't get in?"

Right answer: "Work on my application, talk to the Dean of Admissions, and reapply next year."
Wrong answer (actually given to my adcom aquaintance multiple times): "That's not going to happen."

While I'm not in the interview phase for medical school yet I think it is good to do a few dry runs...I essentially look at this as a job interview. Punctual, Polite, well groomed, confident (but not arrogant), have research done about the place you are visiting...aka type of curriculum, average debt...stuff like that which can later be used for questions. Also, many schools have career centers where you can practice a few times and figure out what you are doing right and wrong.. USE IT. I know psu, and my major specifically is very very heavy on this..we have workshops, workshops and more workshops. If we even show up late to an oncampus interview people in my major are required to write a formal apology before even being allowed to interview for another position. One should also remember that you are never above the position you are going for....no such thing as a gimme when it comes to this stuff. If you come off as a pompous a-hole because you think you are a slamdunk to get in....yea well ..probably won't get in. Another problem seems to be what another poster stated. The too much information problem....I'm guilty of this where I go on tangents for a while and give more information than anyone ever would care to know. (If you can't tell from my posts) I am guessing that interviewers don't care about your sex life, or what you had for breakfast that made you bloated..... Don't speak too fast and/or slur words together like a drunken man. (once again I am bad about getting excited and talking really fast or having my thoughts come out as one gigantic incoherent blob) If you have to take a second to organize your thoughts and pace yourself then do it.........It isn't speed chess or anything....just don't sit there and stare at them for 15 seconds with an awkward silence....and finally just the oppossite of being over confident and cocky..don't be a worried begging brown nose.. WANTING is ok...but acting as desperate as a teenager looking to lose his virginity and being almost to the point of neurotic is not only bad...but probably kind of creepy.

Another big mistake: letting one rip right in the middle of the interview. Silent and violent or loud, either is bad. Avoid flatulance-inducing foods prior to an interview. :cool:

to the creator of this thread....what do you mean by being too buddy buddy? were you guys laughing? just too comfortable? did it lose professionalism? explain the weak point of being buddy buddy.

Iain said:
In a hiring position I have hired a number of staff, and it amazes me what some people say!! I was interviewing for an entry level position and had a girl tell me she gave a male stripper a handy!!!

That is just 1 of a number of shockers -

Makes total sense if she was not so subtly trying to suggest she might do anything to get the position. The ball was in your court. :laugh:

OP--

Being too friendly with your interviewers can be a turn-off. Try to take your cues from your interviewer. If they are being really friendly and buddy-buddy then loosen up a little but if they are being extremely professional then try to back off a little and be as staid as you can. You can be friendly during interviews and remain professional. Try not to use slang or anything that could be taken as flirtatious and you should be okay.

You are taking a good step by going to mock interviews. You might try contacting the school(s) you are most interested in and asking how you could bolster your app for this year. Although, they may not tell you that you blew the interview directly, they may give so little advice as to point to your interviewing skills indirectly.

A big no-no would also be to forget what school you're interviewing at. "Yes, I would love to go to Columbia. I've dreamt about it for as long as I can remember. It would be a great honor" while at an NYU interview might not go over so well.

crazy_cavalier said:
ask questions that can never be interpreted as a negative about you.

i think that this is a really good piece of advice. when you ask a question, make sure you leave little or no room for the interviewer to misinterpret your reason(s) for asking.

i'm pretty sure i failed in this area during one of my interviews this year. the interviewer wanted me to ask a question after each of his questions. after a while, i ran out of the standard "now about this student opportunity..." type of question. so, i started asking his opinions about various issues in healthcare. i was asking these questions with the intent of trying to build up discussions, to show that i had my own opinions on these issues too. but, he clearly didn't see it that way. he kept saying things like, "well, you need to understand that the term 'managed care' means..." i kept wanting to butt in and let him know that i understood and that i was rather just asking his opinion. in retrospect, i really should have. in any case, i think i lead him to believe that i didn't know enough about healthcare or what i was getting into. in fact, i know this is true, because i spoke with this interviewer after i had received my decision letter and all was said and done.

Many are talking about the need to come across confident, which is great.

But be very careful to avoid the most negative impression you can make: arrogant.

People can write off shy, humble, intimidated, and lots of other character quirks, but arrogance is the one thing that is just about unforgivable.

The interviewer asked me if I would perform an abortion and I said no I wouldn't do anything to end a life I'd try to save one. He then went on about how it is not my decision and its the patient's decision that matters... which I now realize that he did have a valid point.

The biggest interview mistakes tend to be:
(1) not having a good answer for "why medicine", or simply falling back on the cliche of wanting to "help people". Similarly, doing it for money, prestige, parent influences or other superficial reasons is a no-no
(2) not having a good answer for "why this school"; Telling them you want that school because it is in a particular city is not a good answer.
(3) Coming off as not well thought out.
(4) Coming off as immature
(5) Not being responsive, and having the interviewer feel like s/he is pulling teeth to get you to talk.
(6) Being to arrogant, or giving off an air of entitlement,
(7) Not having any questions to ask -- it suggests disinterest.
(8) Not being nice and professional toward non-interviewer admissions staff, secretaries, student tour guides, student hosts, etc.
(9) Not looking professional -- this is not the time to take fashion risks.

These are the ones that come to mind, I'm sure there are others.

noelleruckman said:
be careful when you state political opinions - or even healthcare opinions that mihgt give away political beliefs. I had an interviewer who didn't like my politics and just went off on me for fifteen minutes.... and then, be ready for anything your first interview. The above happened to me on my first interview and I wasn't sure what to do throughout the rest of the interview.

Hmm, so would it be ok to talk about universal access to healthcare in answer to this question? A few of my EC's very obviously show that I'm for it, so I can't and wouldn't want to skip around the issue. And I don't see how it really gives away a specific political affiliation. I won't change my opinion in any way, so is the best way to handle this to word it as PC as possible? I'll work on that, however I do have a couple other answers to this question ...

mychelle774 said:
Hmm, so would it be ok to talk about universal access to healthcare in answer to this question? A few of my EC's very obviously show that I'm for it, so I can't and wouldn't want to skip around the issue. And I don't see how it really gives away a specific political affiliation. I won't change my opinion in any way, so is the best way to handle this to word it as PC as possible? I'll work on that, however I do have a couple other answers to this question ...

Universal healthcare coverage is not a hot button issue to avoid. Most interviewers will want to discuss it in some fashion. Even those who don't think it is a great idea usually see it as inevitable.

to the op,

as a reapplicant, you're going to be asked about why you think you didn't get in the first time. i, like you, had pretty weak clinical experience my first go around. if that's why you think you weren't successful, by all means, tell them that when they ask you. don't get tripped up throwing out 101 reasons, saying how maybe you could have done this better during an interview, etc.

like you, i also gained a lot of clinical experience in an attempt to better my app. in my experience, that should be your focus rather than the reason(s) why you didn't get in. sure, be honest about your downfall(s), but don't harp on them. put most of your effort into explaining how you did various things to better yourself and your chances for admission.

spewing out a laundry list of excuses for not getting in makes you still seem unconfident, and i draws the attention away from your improvements. but, being able to say "look, this is what i was lacking in my app. so, i've spent time doing this, this, and that, and i now know more about what i'm getting into, more prepared for medicine, etc," will highlight your drive and your confidence. so, definitely discuss the old you, but make your focus on the new you. best of luck

dk233267 said:
The interviewer asked me if I would perform an abortion and I said no I wouldn't do anything to end a life I'd try to save one. He then went on about how it is not my decision and its the patient's decision that matters... which I now realize that he did have a valid point.

Actually it is your decision. If an employer demanded that you do a procedure that compromised your own personal integrity, then it is time to find another employer.

There is a difference between doing a procedure that your really don't want to do and one that you are morally opposed to. The patient has a right to have the abortion, and you have the right to not be the one doing the procedure.

[/off-topic]

mychelle774 said:

Yeah, and it was possibly just in my situation that politics wasn't a good thing to bring up. The difficult thing is there will probably be slightly different rules in every interview. It just depends on the interviewer. I would advise getting an idea of what type of interviewer you are talking to before you bring up something controversial. I'm not saying you should change your stance to please the interviewer, but get a feeling for what type of person the interviewer is before committing to something in the interview - unless your prepared to wow someone with your debating skills.
In my situation, there was lots of room for me to turn the interview around, but I was very flustered when she lectured me. (mostly because it was my first interviewer, I didn't know what to expect, and was a little nervous.)

Law2Doc said:
Universal healthcare coverage is not a hot button issue to avoid. Most interviewers will want to discuss it in some fashion. Even those who don't think it is a great idea usually see it as inevitable.

Well thank goodness. For some reason *ahemlivingintexasahem* I feel like I might run into an interviewer who can't tolerate change or different opinions. And I am applying to only Texas schools.

Josh L.Ac. said:
Actually it is your decision. If an employer demanded that you do a procedure that compromised your own personal integrity, then it is time to find another employer.

There is a difference between doing a procedure that your really don't want to do and one that you are morally opposed to. The patient has a right to have the abortion, and you have the right to not be the one doing the procedure.

[/off-topic]

Well, the interviewer apparently disagreed. Thats the point here. Sometimes considerations of medical ethics need to be broader than one's own moral convictions. Regardless which side you feel strongly about, it is important to show that you are capable of thinking objectively and stepping outside yourself to do what is in the best interest of the patient. If you did have strong convictions against performing a procedure, what steps would you take to make sure the patient received the best treatment for her? What if no other options were available? Elective versus life-saving circumstances? The point is to thinking broadly and inclusively, to evaluate options and execute an effective and considerate treatment plan. Just my 2 cents.

Haemulon said:
Well, the interviewer apparently disagreed. Thats the point here. Sometimes considerations of medical ethics need to be broader than one's own moral convictions. Regardless which side you feel strongly about, it is important to show that you are capable of thinking objectively and stepping outside yourself to do what is in the best interest of the patient. If you did have strong convictions against performing a procedure, what steps would you take to make sure the patient received the best treatment for her? What if no other options were available? Elective versus life-saving circumstances? The point is to thinking broadly and inclusively, to evaluate options and execute an effective and considerate treatment plan. Just my 2 cents.

I definitely agree that one would need to support their position and be able to respond if different variables or situations are introduced. Just because a person suggests their answer is based off moral or ethical reasons doesn't mean that the conversation is over (which is a tendency in our society). If you can't rationally explain yourself, then you need to think more about your values or ethics.

Josh L.Ac. said:
I definitely agree that one would need to support their position and be able to respond if different variables or situations are introduced. Just because a person suggests their answer is based off moral or ethical reasons doesn't mean that the conversation is over (which is a tendency in our society). If you can't rationally explain yourself, then you need to think more about your values or ethics.

:thumbup:

I think I did come off as too arrogant. And by buddy-buddy, I meant too many jokes, mostly. I think I gave off the impression I assumed we had more in common than they had with their other interviewees.

Also, I definitely babbled when asked about my health care opinions. Partially because I was afraid they wouldn't agree with my interviewer's. I lean libertarian in this realm.

dk233267 said:
I think the reason your answer went against you may be in the presentation. I too would never perform an abortion, no matter what the circumstance. However, when I've been asked this question in mock interviews, my response went something like this:

"If a women came to me wanting an abortion, first, I think it'd be important to discuss all of her available options (including adoption). I would explain the benefits and risks of each option. In doing so, I would try to stimulate a conversation with the women about what would be best for her. If she decided that she definitely wants to have the baby aborted, I would give her a referral of another doctor she could converse with. I know that I cannot make the decision for her about whether to get an abortion or not. However, I do have the right to refuse to perform the abortion because of my personal beliefs."

I'm open for feedback on that answer.

jstuds_66 said:
I think the reason your answer went against you may be in the presentation. I too would never perform an abortion, no matter what the circumstance. However, when I've been asked this question in mock interviews, my response went something like this:

"If a women came to me wanting an abortion, first, I think it'd be important to discuss all of her available options (including adoption). I would explain the benefits and risks of each option. In doing so, I would try to stimulate a conversation with the women about what would be best for her. If she decided that she definitely wants to have the baby aborted, I would give her a referral of another doctor she could converse with. I know that I cannot make the decision for her about whether to get an abortion or not. However, I do have the right to refuse to perform the abortion because of my personal beliefs."

Sounds appropriate. But bear in mind that this is probably one of the only procedures you can refuse to participate in without it looking bad. The response doesn't work equally well when you try to get out of doing a rectal exam.

:laugh: True True. Thanks Law2Doc. :laugh:

Law2Doc said:
Sounds appropriate. But bear in mind that this is probably one of the only procedures you can refuse to participate in without it looking bad. The response doesn't work equally well when you try to get out of doing a rectal exam.

Maybe that and physician assisted suicide, which is legal in oregon.

AmoryBlaine said:
I've always heard (from adcom members) that a HUGE mistake is to fail the question, "what will you do if you don't get in?"

Right answer: "Work on my application, talk to the Dean of Admissions, and reapply next year."
Wrong answer (actually given to my adcom aquaintance multiple times): "That's not going to happen."

My answer was an immediate reply "Re-apply of course!" and then I went on about the wonderful bio-chem class I was already enrolled in for the fall and how I was soo looking forward to it.

When waitlisted, I kept thinking "Maybe I was a little too excited about my bio-chem class, and maybe they wanted to give me a chance to take it." I have no clue, but I am sure that wasn't the only mistake I made.

musiclink213 said:
A big no-no would also be to forget what school you're interviewing at. "Yes, I would love to go to Columbia. I've dreamt about it for as long as I can remember. It would be a great honor" while at an NYU interview might not go over so well.

I know I did that on one of my secondaries. I said something like "I really like Tufts because..." and I was applying to Temple. :eek:

jstuds_66 said:

...i'm so glad my answer to this question will just be "yes" :p

dopaminesurge said:
I think I did come off as too arrogant. And by buddy-buddy, I meant too many jokes, mostly. I think I gave off the impression I assumed we had more in common than they had with their other interviewees.

Also, I definitely babbled when asked about my health care opinions. Partially because I was afraid they wouldn't agree with my interviewer's. I lean libertarian in this realm.

i did that in college interviews!!! for my yale interview, i had my interviewer laughing so hard he was leaning back in his chair abt to fall over (yeah, i'm funny like that). ...and i didn't get in :mad:

I've asked this in another thread but got no responses...in many ways it fits with this topic (do's and don'ts) so I'll try again...

I am prior military and would very much like to return if I get accepted/get through medical school. I've tossed around the idea of elaborating on this in my personal statement (and subsequently in an interview) but have often wondered if it is a bad idea. Seems like it's trendy to hate the military/gov't these days. Too risky to mention? Best to keep these ambitions under wraps or talk it up?

hermit said:
I've asked this in another thread but got no responses...in many ways it fits with this topic (do's and don'ts) so I'll try again...

I am prior military and would very much like to return if I get accepted/get through medical school. I've tossed around the idea of elaborating on this in my personal statement (and subsequently in an interview) but have often wondered if it is a bad idea. Seems like it's trendy to hate the military/gov't these days. Too risky to mention? Best to keep these ambitions under wraps or talk it up?

If this is too risky to mention...I'm screwed! I am still on active duty, and plan to return upon completion of med school. In my PS, I talked about my commitment to providing quality health care to the men and women of our armed forces. I share your concerns about the latest trend in anti-military sentiment...I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$!

etf said:
when i told the interviewer that i hadn't voted in california's special election because it was the same day as my interview in new york, he looked like i had just grown an anus in my forehead. i got the rejection letter a few weeks later.

That's harsh
so what if you didn't vote