Biggest interview mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh another thing. Make sure you remember the names of the people you have already interviewed with, and maybe even people you have yet to interview with. Sometimes you will get asked casually "who have you talked with so far?"

Members don't see this ad.

hermit said:
I've asked this in another thread but got no responses...in many ways it fits with this topic (do's and don'ts) so I'll try again...

I am prior military and would very much like to return if I get accepted/get through medical school. I've tossed around the idea of elaborating on this in my personal statement (and subsequently in an interview) but have often wondered if it is a bad idea. Seems like it's trendy to hate the military/gov't these days. Too risky to mention? Best to keep these ambitions under wraps or talk it up?
It's not trendy to hate the military. It's not like you all have any control over the public policy or decisions of the government.

Definitely talk it up.

jstuds_66 said:
I think the reason your answer went against you may be in the presentation. I too would never perform an abortion, no matter what the circumstance. However, when I've been asked this question in mock interviews, my response went something like this:

"If a women came to me wanting an abortion, first, I think it'd be important to discuss all of her available options (including adoption). I would explain the benefits and risks of each option. In doing so, I would try to stimulate a conversation with the women about what would be best for her. If she decided that she definitely wants to have the baby aborted, I would give her a referral of another doctor she could converse with. I know that I cannot make the decision for her about whether to get an abortion or not. However, I do have the right to refuse to perform the abortion because of my personal beliefs."

I'm open for feedback on that answer.

blah blah blah :sleep:
just say no already!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
SeventhSon said:
Oh another thing. Make sure you remember the names of the people you have already interviewed with, and maybe even people you have yet to interview with. Sometimes you will get asked casually "who have you talked with so far?"

of all the people to say this, YOU just had to mention it...

so, my interview at UCSD was going great. the guy liked my long ass secondary and we talked about that for a while. Got into a deep conversation about being able to balance research with patient care with teaching on top of being a family man. Very interesting guy.

Problem occured when it came to say goodbye. His first name, Carter, happened to be the last name of my first interviewer (from a different school) who gave me this hellish interview that I'd never forget. Turns out, I never forgot. So I said thank you Dr. Carter accidentally, and then I mentally kicked myself while correcting myself to say Dr. Jackson (his actual last name).

He forgave the mistake and laughed it off, saying that people often reverse the two, because Carter sounds like a last name, while Jackson can be a first name, but I still wonder, if I had gotten the name right...

danjo said:
If this is too risky to mention...I'm screwed! I am still on active duty, and plan to return upon completion of med school. In my PS, I talked about my commitment to providing quality health care to the men and women of our armed forces. I share your concerns about the latest trend in anti-military sentiment...I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$!

Don't worry, most Adcom are made up of older doctors who have an appreciation of what its like to be in the military (many did serve during vietnam). Yea, you could get unlucky and get the douchebag who doesn't understand the difference between politics and the military, but the odds are in your favor.

As for interview advice, don't bulls*it if you don't know the answer to a question. Regardless of your desire to practice medicine, you havn't spent a day in the field yet, and you will not know everything about tort reform, malpractice, HMO's, etc. A good interviewer will know that and not expect you to. But trying to talk your way through a subject you don't understand will just make you look like a tool. They're doctors, this is their life's work, they will know. A simple, "I'm not familiar with the subject, can you tell me more about it" will suffice.

Good luck everyone

BrettBatchelor said:
It's not trendy to hate the military. It's not like you all have any control over the public policy or decisions of the government.

Definitely talk it up.

Thanks for the input Brett! Unfortunately, I have seen a few posts on SDN even where people have referred to the military as a group of baby killers! I know it's crazy, but there are some people out there...I just hope there aren't any on the ADCOMs I'll be dealing with!

Army_Doc said:
Don't worry, most Adcom are made up of older doctors who have an appreciation of what its like to be in the military (many did serve during vietnam).

Thanks Army_Doc...I was actually kind of hoping this would be the case. I guess I don't have to worry about all of this until I get past the secondaries, and hopefully get some interview invites, but these concerns have definitely been lingering in the back of my mind.

If we're not supposed to bring up politics, then I'm pretty much screwed since they'll read on the application that I worked in politics.

Gabby said:
If we're not supposed to bring up politics, then I'm pretty much screwed since they'll read on the application that I worked in politics.

Maybe I should've said to be prepared to be disagreed with. I'm guessing that the real problem with my interview was that I wasn't sure what to do after she lectured me and so my whole interview was unimpressive.

Keep in mind, a substantial part of every medical school's class goes there on military scholarship. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a physician naivé enough not to at least acknowledge that.

EDIT: and by substantial, I'm talking 7-8%... it I remember my percentages.

Law2Doc said:
The biggest interview mistakes tend to be:
(1) not having a good answer for "why medicine", or simply falling back on the cliche of wanting to "help people". Similarly, doing it for money, prestige, parent influences or other superficial reasons is a no-no
(2) not having a good answer for "why this school"; Telling them you want that school because it is in a particular city is not a good answer.
(3) Coming off as not well thought out.
(4) Coming off as immature
(5) Not being responsive, and having the interviewer feel like s/he is pulling teeth to get you to talk.
(6) Being to arrogant, or giving off an air of entitlement,
(7) Not having any questions to ask -- it suggests disinterest.
(8) Not being nice and professional toward non-interviewer admissions staff, secretaries, student tour guides, student hosts, etc.

(9) Not looking professional -- this is not the time to take fashion risks.

These are the ones that come to mind, I'm sure there are others.

Excellent list... particularly the 3 I've highlighted.

Depakote said:
Keep in mind, a substantial part of every medical school's class goes there on military scholarship. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a physician naivé enough not to at least acknowledge that.

EDIT: and by substantial, I'm talking 7-8%... it I remember my percentages.

Yeah...I just wonder how many people discuss that with the ADCOM prior to gaining admission. I also wonder if some of the more prestigious schools (and by prestigious I mean the ones ranked highly by US News), might be concerned about my commitment to military service and its potential impact on their post medical school statistics (residency match rate, etc.).

danjo said:
Unfortunately, I have seen a few posts on SDN even where people have referred to the military as a group of baby killers!
Do you have any links to that? I'd love to see it. I'd find that very suprising. And inexcusable.

Support for the military is as high as I've seen it in the last 25 years or so. It's a very unpopular administration and a very unpopular war, but I don't think many confuse the war with the warrior (unlike Vietnam). Even in San Francisco, a city pretty close to universally against the war, you hear nothing but support for the troops.

I think those that will hold the military against you will be a minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound like I'm starting a huge debate, but when you have politicians (Murdock) comparing soldiers to Nazi's and calling them murderers without providing evidence, you are likely to see radicalists. I agree that it is entirely wrong, and that we must support the troops, but some leaders really are not pushing that direction.

Do you have any links to that? I'd love to see it. I'd find that very suprising. And inexcusable.

Support for the military is as high as I've seen it in the last 25 years or so. It's a very unpopular administration and a very unpopular war, but I don't think many confuse the war with the warrior (unlike Vietnam). Even in San Francisco, a city pretty close to universally against the war, you hear nothing but support for the troops.

Not to make this a political thread, but I disagree.

John Kerry said soldiers were going into Iraqis homes and "terrorizing" them. Many soldiers accused of war crimes are presumed guilty BEFORE innocent by certain people and sometimes the media...

For instance, here is a link after a Google news search for "Haditha":

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060626/NEWS0804/606260311/1002

WOW.

notdeadyet said:

I think those that will hold the military against you will be a minority.

I agree. Of all the anti-war and anti-policy arguments, references, and opinions I have heard or seen, I have not yet come across anything anti-military. Do not confuse anti-war with anti-military.

the12thmd said:
Not to make this a political thread, but I disagree.

John Kerry said soldiers were going into Iraqis homes and "terrorizing" them. Many soldiers accused of war crimes are presumed guilty BEFORE innocent by certain people and sometimes the media...

Ok, wrong thread, wrong thread.

Relax. I don't know what context that was in, but even that statement in and of itsself is not anti-military. Those soldiers are ordered to do what they do from the powers that be. What ever it is that is going on. And the media makes a big deal about most anyone accussed of anything, not just soldiers. Relax my friend. We're all on the same side here.

Democrats, Republicans, hawks and doves. The people of the armed forces, everyone loves!

the12thmd said:
Many soldiers accused of war crimes are presumed guilty BEFORE innocent by certain people and sometimes the media...
That's messed up. The folks under investigation for the massacre in Haditha, and those charged with murder in Hamdaniya or Salaheddin, or the folks must charged with the rape and murders in Mahmoudiya should ALL be considered innocent until proven guilty. Folks shouldn't jump the gun on it. It's unamerican.

But I don't think that many folks are judging ALL soldiers based on those terrible events allegedly committed by a handful of troops.

the12thmd said:
Ok, wrong thread, wrong thread.
Agreed.

This has already been said, but make sure to be very polite and kind to all people at the school you are interviewing at, including secretaries and tour guides.

While I was waiting for one of my interviewers @ PSU, I was having a conversation w/ his secretary about Mexican food and a recipe that I use when I make enchiladas, we had been talking for about 5 mins about lots of things and and my interviewer came out of his office (his door was open, but I had no idea he was already in there!) and said, "sorry to interrupt your interesting conversation" and called me in to his office to interview. It was really an ice breaker for our own interview conversation, and in hindsight I really feel like those types of interactions probably mean more on an interview day than I assumed. It somewhat serves to answer the "how do you act when no one's watching" question. Just my $0.02! :luck:

Haemulon said:
Relax. I don't know what context that was in, but even that statement in and of itsself is not anti-military. Those soldiers are ordered to do what they do from the powers that be. What ever it is that is going on. And the media makes a big deal about most anyone accussed of anything, not just soldiers. Relax my friend. We're all on the same side here.

Democrats, Republicans, hawks and doves. The people of the armed forces, everyone loves!
I am relaxed? I just said I disagree! I would respond to your post, but I don't want to piss off the OP. :oops:

SeventhSon said:
VERY good advice. I personally find it very easy to get introduced to people in interview situations and then promptly forget their name.

Do folks that you interview with for med school entry typically hand you a card, as in business interviews? Sure would be handy.

notdeadyet said:
VERY good advice. I personally find it very easy to get introduced to people in interview situations and then promptly forget their name.
I am TERRIBLE at remembering names, so I am really worried about forgetting during an interview. I've made it my current practice to say the person's name in my head three times while looking them in the face to remember it. It has worked well so far.

the12thmd said:
I've made it my current practice to say the person's name in my head three times while looking them in the face to remember it.
It works even better if you say it out loud. But you look like Rain Man.

notdeadyet said:
Do folks that you interview with for med school entry typically hand you a card, as in business interviews? Sure would be handy.
I had quite a few interviews where my interviewers (facutly, obviously) gave me their card and told me I could contact them with any questions I had, and some went as far as to let me know that I could contact them with any questions about med school in general, even if it wasn't for that particular school. One interviewer (the best I had of all my interviewers) actually sent me a handwritten note after I was accepted giving me her e-mail address and pager number (!) in case I had any questions, even if I chose not to go to that school. While many of the people in interviews are scary and closed off, remember that there are quite a few of them who really sympathize/empathize with how stressful the interview process can be, and really want you to feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible. Not everybody is there to trip you up with a tricky question or make you look like an idiot.

Law2Doc said:
I think it was Candyman where you had to say his name three times to summon him...

Isn't that Beetlejuice?

Is it looked down upon to refer to someone as Sir or Ma'am? Maybe a bit too formal? That would be my fallback if I couldn't remember their name. I suppose using those would be less personal in a situation where you're trying to relate to the interviewer.

SeventhSon said:
I blanked on that question so many times. I think it was the stress combined with the sheer number of people I met at each interview. Definitely a good point though b/c it could save you from feeling stupid, the way I did.

in my albany interview, i might have referred to people in comas as vegetables. whoops. but they took me off their waitlist anyway - who knows, maybe i would have been accepted outright if i chose my words more carefully.

I had a pretty political interview question and answered dishonestly, and I think the interviewer could tell. It was in regards to a pakistani earthquake relief banquet dinner i had organized, and he asked what ethnicity the majority of people who went were. They were mostly south asian, but i did have great representation from all groups (all 4 major religions, etc.). i kept emphasizing that it was a well balanced group and not one group was more than the other. i think i was being idealistic and not realistic, and he wante dto discuss realistic disparities since he worked with post-9/11 muslim victims of violence (and was a pretty political person). i think he could tell that i was denying the facts, since i can't lie very well, and this was most definietly held against me. i got wait listed at this school, and still feel that this was why.

oh, also-- he was a psychiatrist, so you have to watch out for them! they drill you pretty hard and try to guage your personal reactions and opinons. and they are damn good at it, too.

EDIT: I meant to make a new topic. dammit.

legobikes said:
Another question that just popped up: there is a place, in the course work section, to select Advanced Placement courses--I marked these as high school and put them in this section, but would these be better in the standardized tests section, specially since they allowed me to skip introductory biol and chem?

Can't help but be a little obsessive about exactly how to fill this damn thing out.

wowwww. this is one of the most off topic responses i have ever seen. neither of your posts have anything to do with interview mishaps. please read the topic a little more carefully next time, and don't expect a serious answer.

Mock interviews can be really helpful. Went to one with residency director in my home town and he told me that I looked at my Left Knee a lot (never knew I did that). He also advised that if you have difficulty looking at someone in the eyes, look at their nose or chin, they can't tell where you are looking and it is good to have the eye or face contact. He also said that he is tired of interviewees telling him how wonderful his city is, and how they would love to live there; he knows how wonderful his city is, he isn't seeking confirmation of that, and these talks do nothing to differentiate the candidates.

I would offer two suggestions:

First, don't assume that an interview done with a student interviewer carries less weight. Depending on the school it may or may not, and I know applicants that didn't get in because of the student interviewers opinion. This is not to say that you can't ask the student questions that they would have a better perspective on than faculty, but don't kick back, prop your feet up, and act bored.

Two, don't assume that if something came up in an interview (ie politics) and you then didn't get in, that the two are related. Remember, even after a fabulous interview there are people that won't get in, because your GPA, MCAT, etc still matter. Not everyone who interview gets in, obviously, and it isn't necessarily because of a bad interview.

So take that for what its worth :) Good luck.