Biggest problem with education (public)?

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the biggest problem with education from your perspective? Be sure to include personal experiences and such. Just want to start a educated talk! Fire away :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Grade inflation

An average grade should be a C on a grading scale, with fewer students receiving Bs or Ds and even fewer pulling out As and Fs

This is not the case in any institution or class I have ever been in

Grade inflation

An average grade should be a C on a grading scale, with fewer students receiving Bs or Ds and even fewer pulling out As and Fs

Interesting, may I ask one thing? What harm does a C not being average on the grading scale cause? Thanks for replying! Anyone else have more to add?

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst thing about higher education is that we have to pay for it and the tuition is higher every single year yet I know many people delaying their education or going to community college and stopping at a two-year degree because they are scared of the price of a 4 year and the financial aid that's not coming to their full needs.

Are you talking high school or college?

If it is high school, I would say compulsory education and social promotion. Right now there are a bunch of kids that don't want to be there, and they don't work to learn anything because they are just passed on to the next grade, even if they fail. This comes from, and leads to (in a positive feedback loop) the need to boost an individual's self esteem. I don't believe that people should be bullied, but they should not be coddled either. Teachers should be able to give honest feedback to students, and if the student fails to meet grade level standards, they don't move on to the next grade level.

If you are talking college, I think it is the price associated with the degree. Once people graduate (sometimes with a degree that is useless) and they cannot find a job, they cannot pay back their student loans on the wage that they can make working as a barista or a burger flipper. This is making wage-slaves of some college graduates.

Just to put some perspective on my answers, I have been a high school science teacher for the past 19 years. Thirteen of which have been at a high-poverty school (100% free lunch level of poverty!) where many students are totally apathetic, and are very low in skill level compared to the rest of the state (country). About one more month to go, and I will have taught my last class and in three months I will be starting medical school.

In terms of public high school, I think grading is the biggest problem. The old saying is that a "C" is average. If that was true, most state colleges would have an average acceptance GPA of like 2.5. Schools hand out A's nowadays in an effort to just get kids through, because they would feel too bad breaking it to them that they shouldn't go to college.

College used to be something very prestigious. The best performers went, and those that didn't worked for them. Now it's like an expected chain, even those at the bottom of the totem pole get a degree.

In terms of public high school, I think grading is the biggest problem. The old saying is that a "C" is average. If that was true, most state colleges would have an average acceptance GPA of like 2.5. Schools hand out A's nowadays in an effort to just get kids through, because they would feel too bad breaking it to them that they shouldn't go to college.

College used to be something very prestigious. The best performers went, and those that didn't worked for them. Now it's like an expected chain, even those at the bottom of the totem pole get a degree.

Agree 100% here. I didn't want to go to college when I got out of high school, and all the adults I knew (except my parents) disapproved of my decision. They didn't understand that I just wanted some time off to try being an adult, or a break from school before committing to something for the next several years. I think that there is just way to much pressure for students to go to college these days. And if they don't go, people automatically label them as being either stupid, or lazy, which is really sad. Some people just don't like school.

In terms of highschool, I believe it depends on what kind of school district your in and the school's motives as a whole. Unfortunately not all schools are in the best position, thus creating lesser opportunities for those who wish to strive in the school. Fortunately i went to a great public high school and there are no problems with the public schooling there hardly.

Of course you get the kids who don't try or care(this happens in college or private school too), but you bypass them. You can only take what you want out of it.

As of college prestige, I believe getting accepted and attending college is still an amazing challenge to overcome. Since GPA's and certain criteria has increased. Its not that easy to get in, its easier to get lazy and give up in my opinion. I've never been the lazy type and I care about my education. But i have seen many kids in my school not going to college which isnt a big deal if thats what they want.

It basically all depends on what you want to do.

Not sure if you mean High school or College, so I'll do both like dsoz

High School: It's not just the fact that the kids hate every single aspect of it, but it's also because there is a cycle of non caring people. On both sides Some teachers are hired and they don't even know the material they're teaching. They see this as another paycheck. The students notice this and it reflects on them. "If they don't care, why should I?" I heard a student say this to his parents once. Because the students don't care, that makes the Teachers think that they shouldn't have to care. It's an endless cycle.

I have a lot of respect for this student who told this teacher the truth:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5z3dhTpVw[/YOUTUBE]

College: I think the problem is the financial situation people are placed in after College. People stay in debt forever with these loans. Even if you declare bankruptcy, they never go away. My mom is still paying off her Student loans. And she's almost 50! It's insane.

College: I think the problem is the financial situation people are placed in after College. People stay in debt forever with these loans. Even if you declare bankruptcy, they never go away. My mom is still paying off her Student loans. And she's almost 50! It's insane.

Yeah college students are not able to get enough financial aid, that's for sure. I remember looking at schools in the Netherlands. The price for them to attend school at a major university is tremendously low. But their country's government policies are a little different.

Not sure if you mean High school or College, so I'll do both like dsoz

High School: It's not just the fact that the kids hate every single aspect of it, but it's also because there is a cycle of non caring people. On both sides Some teachers are hired and they don't even know the material they're teaching. They see this as another paycheck. The students notice this and it reflects on them. "If they don't care, why should I?" I heard a student say this to his parents once. Because the students don't care, that makes the Teachers think that they shouldn't have to care. It's an endless cycle.

I have a lot of respect for this student who told this teacher the truth:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5z3dhTpVw[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks everyone for the replies! The reason I bring this up is that we had a discussion in our Psychology class about what is wrong with the current education system, I think it was geared towards high school but I'm sure the college system has its flaws as well. The funny part is that yesterday, we started off our discussion by watching that video of the student telling the teacher what is up (truth). Its interesting to see all different perspectives and how this is going to be one of the problems for our generation to clear. Anyways, keep it coming guys! :)

Yeah, only problem is a C at a public college prep school and a C from the school in the ghetto are not one and the same.

Another problem with education at lower levels is the fact that many teachers (but not all) are not at the top of the ladder when in comes to how well they did in college. (I know its faux paux to say its not all about the money when it comes to choosing an occupation, but when you have several options it really is. If teachers were paid more, that definitely would've been a option). Which leads me to believe, that teachers do not get paid as well, or receive the respect that they deserve, Most of us here wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the teachers we had.

As ramble as that was, here's is some more rambling, Another problem with education, many people view it as a hassle, and not a road to success.

Some parent's don't take enough initiative to help/guide their child, and blame it all on the teacher when the child does poorly.

Not enough emphasis on math and science.

Putting kids with different levels of skill in the same class. (I think the high school/middle school model with different teachers for different subjects should extend down to the k-6 level.)

Standardized Exams, yes I understand that they are supposed to level the playing field, but this leads to two problem, teaching toward the exam, and for those who are way above average, they have to take a step back to relearn 'the tricks' of what they may have covered years before. (i.e. taking the SAT's when you are already in Calc AB.)

And as hoity-toity as this may sound, I wish that there were programs (for say high schooler), from lower performing schools visit higher performing schools in the same area to show them how far behind they can be/are.

I could go on and on, but that's all I have for time now.

Grade inflation

Same. I feel disadvantaged. Everywhere else has grade inflation except my school.

I think another problem (especially for high school and grade school) is an expectation that there is a "standard" curriculum that everyone needs.

Problem is most of the kids don't why they are in school and don't receive an education, just a instruction.

Problem is most of the kids don't why they are in school and don't receive an education, just a instruction.

Welcome to SDN, congratulations on your first post.

Your profile picture is creepy. Haha.

Dude. You're back!!!!!!! Yay!

Higher education: Price, mismanagement, focus on sports

Basic education: Misappropriated funding, 'no child left behind', burnt out teachers, bad management, the parents.

You can fix all the fundamental problems with a school, but if the parents don't instill the right values in their children, it won't improve things at all.

Yeap, mainly I personally agree with Mintcake.

• Price is the biggest problem with higher education, at least from where I'm from.
  • Parents lack of involvement/kid's lack of motivation and teachers that aren't cut out for the job are the biggest problem with regular k-12.

just my 0.02