Billing discharge/discharge note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Occasionally I have discharges on the weekends or when I'm off for vacation. Was curious how people are handling billing for such encounters. My understanding is you can only bill for face-to-face encounter so if you don't see them you can't bill on that day. However, you can bill for time on discharge and this technically can be cumulative time, after having discussion with my billers. Do you just bill a higher level note on your last actual visit with the patient, documenting discharge planning and conversation, or are you just doing the discharge note as the last day you saw them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Correct-you have to see the patient that day to bill.

If I’m on vacation my partner writes and bills for the dc summary. I do the same for him. But we typically tee-up the discharge, send meds, put in all the orders, etc, and may bill a level three that day for all the dc work we’re doing, depending on how much time it all takes.

Don’t use a dc code prior to discharge. Technically you can, but it messes with any billings your colleagues submit for subsequent days. On the other hand, if you see your patient Friday, do all the prep/etc., and they’re going home Saturday and no one else is seeing the patient/writing a note, you can bill for discharge that Friday. Per my billers that’s Kosher/appropriate.

We just avoid it here since we cover each other’s patients and we have consulting hospitalists who may drop by. Besides, a level 3 pays about the same as a discharge code anyway.

Reactions: 2 users