Billings group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked at applying to this clinic in my own field once.

Their cancer center has a naturopath on staff.

I dunno any more details than that but I decided against it.

Reactions: 1 user
They are paying $380/hr locums rate

Not enough to get me out to Montana in the cold. Unless they want to guarantee me at least 100 hours a week for 4 weeks minimum.

I’m sure some of the locals will make a killing for a while. Like my buddy loves to say. It’s time to make administrators pay for their poor decisions.

Just looked at temp. Next Friday /Saturday Presidents’ Day weekend is 8 degrees for a low.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not enough to get me out to Montana in the cold. Unless they want to guarantee me at least 100 hours a week for 4 weeks minimum.

I’m sure some of the locals will make a killing for a while. Like my buddy loves to say. It’s time to make administrators pay for their poor decisions.

Just looked at temp. Next Friday /Saturday Presidents’ Day weekend is 8 degrees for a low.

Hmm if you'll be working 100hrs per week, I don't think it matters what the temperature is outside since you wont be seeing any of it.

Reactions: 9 users

In the private forum Locums thread, Periop doc described making a reasonable amount more hourly than that doing locums there with no call... Especially when doing OT.

In the private forum Locums thread, Periop doc described making a reasonable amount more hourly than that doing locums there with no call.
The money is in the calls. Daytime daily grind stucks. If you want to make money. It’s stupid to work 7-5 (5 days a week) 50 hours

Monday Wednesday Friday 24 hours calls plus working 10 hours post call Tuesday and Thursday gets u to 92 hours. Plus have most of ur weekends off.

The money is in the calls. Daytime daily grind stucks. If you want to make money. It’s stupid to work 7-5 (5 days a week) 50 hours

Monday Wednesday Friday 24 hours calls plus working 10 hours post call Tuesday and Thursday gets u to 92 hours. Plus have most of ur weekends off.
I get that but I just hate night work so much, so I end up doing the mon-fri grind at my FT job.

Maybe if I was traveling for locums it would be different.

I get that but I just hate night work so much, so I end up doing the mon-fri grind at my FT job.

Maybe if I was traveling for locums it would be different.
It all depends on the intensity of the calls

Level 1 up all night. Nope. I ain’t doing it 24 hrs multiple days or even working post call.

Level 2 u usually get 4/5 hours of sleep weeknights so can swing working post call weekdays

I also analyze Ob and how busy it is. Even with crnas cause of the ob c/s potential

It all depends on the intensity of the calls

Level 1 up all night. Nope. I ain’t doing it 24 hrs multiple days or even working post call.

Level 2 u usually get 4/5 hours of sleep weeknights so can swing working post call weekdays

I also analyze Ob and how busy it is. Even with crnas cause of the ob c/s potential
Makes sense

I also figure if I’m away from family I want to maximize production over shorter time

In this case, the call wasn't worth it. 24 hour, level-1 call.

I need call to pay at least 2.5 times my expected daily rate, if I have to take the post call day off, and you do here.

By working a couple of 12 hour shifts, and grabbing a couple hours of overtime here and there, I made more than if I took call.

In this case, the call wasn't worth it. 24 hour, level-1 call.

I need call to pay at least 2.5 times my expected daily rate, if I have to take the post call day off, and you do here.

By working a couple of 12 hour shifts, and grabbing a couple hours of overtime here and there, I made more than if I took call.
I didn’t say take post call off. I said to keep working post call if it’s not trauma one. The key is the running clock. But if u are solo 24 hour trauma one. It’s not sustainable to work post. That I agree.

You can get away with that if u have residents or crnas with u. But not solo.

Work 24 hours sunday trauma one. Work post call at surgery center with a different contract. Have the clock always running.

I didn’t say take post call off. I said to keep working post call if it’s not trauma one. The key is the running clock. But if u are solo 24 hour trauma one. It’s not sustainable to work post. That I agree.

You can get away with that if u have residents or crnas with u. But not solo.

Work 24 hours sunday trauma one. Work post call at surgery center with a different contract. Have the clock always running.
Which is why I pointed out that taking the post call day off isn't optional at Billings Clinic. You have to take that post-call day off.

It's solo call in a level one trauma center, and you usually come out wiped.

What I care about is maximizing the dollars at the end of the week. In this case, working the 50-hour week gave me more income than taking call.

One of my favorite assignments was a 48 hour, in house ish, OB call shift on the weekend. I would do two or three epidurals, and 1 or 2 c-sections, in the weekend. Every once in a while, I would do the call guy a favor, and do a sedation for cardioversion, so he didn't have to come in.

I could leave to eat, or shop at the mall nearby.

There was just enough time on Monday to leave there and get to my other job.

Reactions: 6 users
What I care about is maximizing the dollars at the end of the week. In this case, working the 50-hour week gave me more income than taking call.

One of my favorite assignments was a 48 hour, in house ish, OB call shift on the weekend. I would do two or three epidurals, and 1 or 2 c-sections, in the weekend. Every once in a while, I would do the call guy a favor, and do a sedation for cardioversion, so he didn't have to come in.

I could leave to eat, or shop at the mall nearby.

There was just enough time on Monday to leave there and get to my other job.
That’s the money ball. The 48-72 hour weekends to maximize ur locums money.

Obviously can’t do solo 24 hr calls 48-72 hours.

Find something lighter if it’s continuous hours.