Bio 1 and 2 with Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantthink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking up what to do for Post Bacc. and everything seems to indicated that I need 2 semesters of Bio+Lab.

The two local universities near me (illinois State and Bradley) do not offer (as far as i can tell) a Lab for the Bio 101 and 102 equivalents.

I was hoping to take these two before I move to save some time down the road... Am I SOL? or is the Lab really not all that important for these basic classes

Members don't see this ad.

You just need the introductory courses -for science/bio majors-, which will almost definitely have labs. You may be looking at the general bio for non-majors courses, which might not. It looks like the classes you would need at Illinois State would be 196 and 197, not 101 and 102.

Do they have a biology major? Then they do have biology with lab. You probably think they are separate when they in fact are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also some schools have only 1 semester of lab corresponding with the year-long bio sequence, however it is worth more credits. So that's another possible reason why you may not find it. But more likely it's just that the lab is just part of the course as others have mentioned.

Illinois State has almost nothing in preprofessional advising info. Most links are to external websites. There's a PDF with course listings (would it kill them to just list the prereq courses w/o having to open a PDF?) http://www.bio.illinoisstate.edu/undergrads/programs/preprofessional.shtml

Bradley's no better. http://admissions.bradley.edu/programsofstudy/program.php?POS_ID=67. Took me more than 5 minutes to find the prereqs on the bio & chem department websites.

Lame!

Premed advising is spotty everywhere, but you can arm yourself with info by reading the MSAR and researching med schools on your own.

Best of luck to you.

thanks guys and gals. I saw the 196/197 at ISU but the descriptions didnt seem to line up with what schools are looking for....and I'd hate to waste the time/effort/money on the wrong classes!