[BIO] a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippie

ippie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
#1. what's ascheliminthes? I tried to find on wikipedia, but no result.

#2. during recovery rom oxygen debt, which of the following does not occur?
a. glucose is converted to pyruvate
b. pyruvate is converted to lactate
c. lactate is transported to the liver
d. lactate is converted to pyruvate
e. oxaloacetic acid is converted to citric acid

#3. enzymes do not
a. decrease rates of reaction
b. maintain a structure composed of proteins.
===> according to induced fit theory, structure of enzymes change. right?
catalyst can increase or decrease the rate of reaction. enzyme is one of catalyst. but enzyme can only increase the rate. then, the answer can be both a and b. but answer is only a.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
#1. what's ascheliminthes? I tried to find on wikipedia, but no result.

#2. during recovery rom oxygen debt, which of the following does not occur?
a. glucose is converted to pyruvate
b. pyruvate is converted to lactate
c. lactate is transported to the liver
d. lactate is converted to pyruvate
e. oxaloacetic acid is converted to citric acid

#3. enzymes do not
a. decrease rates of reaction
b. maintain a structure composed of proteins.
===> according to induced fit theory, structure of enzymes change. right?
catalyst can increase or decrease the rate of reaction. enzyme is one of catalyst. but enzyme can only increase the rate. then, the answer can be both a and b. but answer is only a.

for #2, I really do not know the answer off the top of my head but D looks a little strange so I would pick that.

for #3, i think the induced fit means that they morph around substrate (that's terrible wording on my part) but they're not necessarily altering their structure. Again, I think choice B is worded strange but enzymes are of course proteins and they do maintain their structure during the reaction, which is what I think B is referring to. Not so much during the induced fit, but overall in a reaction, an enzyme is neither consumed or changed from a very general perspective.

I think you're being too smart and thinking too hard about the question :D

you getting these questions from kaplan diagnostic arent you?

First of all kaplan diagnostic is made to be pretty hard so that the "low score guarantee" is so low that on the real exam you can score about 4 points higher than the diagnostic. Since they are a business they dont want you to get your money back so they make the test hard so your score is low like a 15 and when you get even a 17 on your DAT you wont be able to get your money back cuz their guarantee is 1 point haha...I just find it so funny but anyways

The answer is D for #2 because recovery from oxygen debt means your getting some aerobic respiration and recovering from fermentation, so basically pick the false answer...because both aerobic and anaerobic processes are still happening but very small amount...So D cant happen in any case so it must be D...

For #3 they are talking about the enzyme being made out of protein, which it is so thats why its A because they dont decrease the rate of the reaction only increase it...

I have taken the kaplan diagnostic before and im telling you they are deliberately making it harder, the questions are not even straightforward they always try to trick the crap out of you in annoying ways...

Members don't see this ad :)
you getting these questions from kaplan diagnostic arent you?

First of all kaplan diagnostic is made to be pretty hard so that the "low score guarantee" is so low that on the real exam you can score about 4 points higher than the diagnostic. Since they are a business they dont want you to get your money back so they make the test hard so your score is low like a 15 and when you get even a 17 on your DAT you wont be able to get your money back cuz their guarantee is 1 point haha...I just find it so funny but anyways

The answer is D for #2 because recovery from oxygen debt means your getting some aerobic respiration and recovering from fermentation, so basically pick the false answer...because both aerobic and anaerobic processes are still happening but very small amount...So D cant happen in any case so it must be D...

For #3 they are talking about the enzyme being made out of protein, which it is so thats why its A because they dont decrease the rate of the reaction only increase it...

I have taken the kaplan diagnostic before and im telling you they are deliberately making it harder, the questions are not even straightforward they always try to trick the crap out of you in annoying ways...

The explanations you gave for the answers are correct to my understanding. Also Kaplan does make the diagnostic much harder because they want to scare you into taking their course as my brother who is a Med Student said. So it's a money making thing lol

guys...for #2, the answer is B. Yes, this problem is from Kaplan Diagnostic test (science section question number 3)..