SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Bio and Orgo at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cavgirl, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I registered for next year's classes, and I'm taking:

Biology Lecture
    Biology Lab
    Orgo Lecture
    Orgo Lab
    Foreign Language class

Have you taken biology and orgo at the same time? How did you manage the workload? Do I need to change my schedule?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. silverlining1

silverlining1 7+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    California
    MDApps:
    I did something similar, except I had a psychology class instead of foreign language. Yes, it is possible, though I don't know how much the answer varies from college to college. It helped me to create a weekly checklist of things to do. For example,

Monday
    Read bio chapter
    Start bio problem set
    Do chem lab prelab

Tuesday
    Continue working on bio problem set
    Do bio lab prelab

etc. It really helped keep me organized and figure out how to manage my time so that I could get everything done. It also provided a visual for exactly how much I needed to do to give me motivation to stop procrastinating!

4. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    That seems like a pretty standard science major schedule.

5. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months.. 2+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2006
    agreed. i took physics and orgo at the same time (with labs). what do you think medical school is going to be like. you will be taking anatomy, biochem, microbiology, histology, etc, all at the same time.

6. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2005
    It's more than manageable to take 2 sciences at the same time.

7. ag9124

ag9124 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    its not really difficult at all. Try taking med micro, polymer chemistry, Physics, and biochem, now thats a work load.

8. Agent47

Agent47 5+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Not really ..Just make sure u have enough time to study. Don't be hero!! GPA is important for med school!! ..

GOod luck

9. stereochemistry

stereochemistry Walking Carpet 5+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2006
    I think most people who majored in a science and have traveled down the pre-med path have been forced to have schedules like that. So yes, bio and organic at the same time. Go for it. As far as I remember, the general rule was to avoid more than 2 labs per semester -- especially if you are doing research on top of that.

:luck:

10. ryouland

ryouland Guest

Jan 18, 2007
    That's not bad at all. You'll be in good shape.

11. Kraazy

Kraazy 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2007
    MDApps:
    Agreed. Especially with only one additional class. 3 science classes, I might be concerned about, but 2 is cake. Kind of.

12. univscience

univscience Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2006
    bio and orgo are definitaly doable. schedule it!

13. FSUUndergrad

FSUUndergrad 2+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2007
    So would a physics lab, organic lab, and research lab be too much?

14. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2005
    No. I think of research more as an EC, even when you take it for credit.

15. kakashi74

kakashi74 2+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Anybody concerned about the foreign language class?
    Seems like all 3 courses will require a lot of memorization.

Does memorizing foreign words affect your capacity to memorize biology stuff? Or does it take place in seperate parts of the brain?

16. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    College Station, TX
    You can do it easily, that doesn't sound bad at all...

Just think about what you are going to be getting yourself into in medical school if you are going to be struggling with that :scared:

17. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel 5+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2004
    actually if you only have 2 lab sciences (though i admit orgo is no walk in the park) then i'd say you have a pretty good schedule.

18. GreenShirt

GreenShirt 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    That's a standard semester. If you're particularly week in one of these subjects or one of them is notoriously hard at your school, you might want to do one later. As others have pointed out, once you get to medical school, you will have 5-6 science courses at once each semester.

19. singh12

singh12 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    i think its doable. you have to plan ahead of time. i m taking physics 1, orgo 1, and cell bio next semester. i'll be studying orgo and cell bio over the summer, so that i don't overwhelmed by the new material during the semster. don't worry u can do it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

20. singh12

singh12 2+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2007
    oh, i forgot to add i'll be taking three labs and a comparitive cultures class also.

21. mules05

mules05 Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2005
    I'm an M2, but as an undergrad I took physics, bio, and orgo (with labs) all in the same semester, along with one credit worth of research (in chemistry). It was doable, but I wish I'd spaced it out more. My only reason for doing it the way I did was that I started my premed requirements late (sophomore year) and needed to have them all finished so I could take the MCAT junior spring.

My bottom line:
    If you have to take multiple science courses at once it's doable, but you're better off concentrating on one and really doing well. Schools will be more impressed that you aced each course on its own than if you manage to pull off a B in three at once.

22. baylormed

baylormed On the Search 5+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    I don't know why people find it so outrageous and doubt their abilities to tackle 2+ sciences at the same time. Especially if you are a science major, it's going to happen. I've done up to 4 sciences + their labs in one semester, and it's completely doable (Orgo II, Bio II, Bio II Lab, Physics, Physics Lab, Cal 2, and British Lit and Volleyball).

I'm just saying, time management is everything.

23. bigman43

bigman43 Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2007
    thats the plan next year. doable?

24. Summa

Summa 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2007
    People are ****ing themselves over nothing. WTF are you gonna when its really time to study? Take these two and enjoy summer; you will have time left over but just make sure to try.

25. degoo_

degoo_ 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Ontario
    Your lectures and labs are separate? They must be pretty intense then. In my second year (when I took orgo), I had physiology (with lab), ecology (with lab), cell biology, organic chemistry (with lab) + filler. It was doable.
    try not to let things accumulate and you'll do fine.

26. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Yes, my lectures and labs are separate. I asked whether or not my schedule is double because many people told me that taking 2 labs with intense writing (10-20 pages reports for orgo and 3-5 pages reports for biology every week) and 2 science courses are very difficult at my school. Because of this, many students take a lab in the summer, which is not a bad idea. I wish I can do this, but I already have plans for this summer. But, I think I can still manage my schedule for next year. I will buy the textbooks after my finals and study them this summer to prepare for next year.

27. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making 7+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Chi-town royalty
    yes, i've done it and it was not hard at all. they are so totally different that they won't clash or confuse you. it's easily doable.