Bio and Orgo at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavgirl

cavalier
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I registered for next year's classes, and I'm taking:

Biology Lecture
Biology Lab
Orgo Lecture
Orgo Lab
Foreign Language class

Have you taken biology and orgo at the same time? How did you manage the workload? Do I need to change my schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Biology Lecture
Biology Lab
Orgo Lecture
Orgo Lab
Foreign Language class

Have you taken biology and orgo at the same time? How did you manage the workload? Do I need to change my schedule?
I did something similar, except I had a psychology class instead of foreign language. Yes, it is possible, though I don't know how much the answer varies from college to college. It helped me to create a weekly checklist of things to do. For example,

Monday
Read bio chapter
Start bio problem set
Do chem lab prelab

Tuesday
Continue working on bio problem set
Do bio lab prelab

etc. It really helped keep me organized and figure out how to manage my time so that I could get everything done. It also provided a visual for exactly how much I needed to do to give me motivation to stop procrastinating!

Biology Lecture
Biology Lab
Orgo Lecture
Orgo Lab
Foreign Language class

That seems like a pretty standard science major schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)

agreed. i took physics and orgo at the same time (with labs). what do you think medical school is going to be like. you will be taking anatomy, biochem, microbiology, histology, etc, all at the same time.

It's more than manageable to take 2 sciences at the same time.

its not really difficult at all. Try taking med micro, polymer chemistry, Physics, and biochem, now thats a work load.

Not really ..Just make sure u have enough time to study. Don't be hero!! GPA is important for med school!! ..

GOod luck

I think most people who majored in a science and have traveled down the pre-med path have been forced to have schedules like that. So yes, bio and organic at the same time. Go for it. As far as I remember, the general rule was to avoid more than 2 labs per semester -- especially if you are doing research on top of that.

:luck:

It's more than manageable to take 2 sciences at the same time.

Agreed. Especially with only one additional class. 3 science classes, I might be concerned about, but 2 is cake. Kind of.

bio and orgo are definitaly doable. schedule it!

I think most people who majored in a science and have traveled down the pre-med path have been forced to have schedules like that. So yes, bio and organic at the same time. Go for it. As far as I remember, the general rule was to avoid more than 2 labs per semester -- especially if you are doing research on top of that.

:luck:

So would a physics lab, organic lab, and research lab be too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody concerned about the foreign language class?
Seems like all 3 courses will require a lot of memorization.

Does memorizing foreign words affect your capacity to memorize biology stuff? Or does it take place in seperate parts of the brain?

You can do it easily, that doesn't sound bad at all...

Just think about what you are going to be getting yourself into in medical school if you are going to be struggling with that :scared:

actually if you only have 2 lab sciences (though i admit orgo is no walk in the park) then i'd say you have a pretty good schedule.

That's a standard semester. If you're particularly week in one of these subjects or one of them is notoriously hard at your school, you might want to do one later. As others have pointed out, once you get to medical school, you will have 5-6 science courses at once each semester.

i think its doable. you have to plan ahead of time. i m taking physics 1, orgo 1, and cell bio next semester. i'll be studying orgo and cell bio over the summer, so that i don't overwhelmed by the new material during the semster. don't worry u can do it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

oh, i forgot to add i'll be taking three labs and a comparitive cultures class also.

I'm an M2, but as an undergrad I took physics, bio, and orgo (with labs) all in the same semester, along with one credit worth of research (in chemistry). It was doable, but I wish I'd spaced it out more. My only reason for doing it the way I did was that I started my premed requirements late (sophomore year) and needed to have them all finished so I could take the MCAT junior spring.

My bottom line:
If you have to take multiple science courses at once it's doable, but you're better off concentrating on one and really doing well. Schools will be more impressed that you aced each course on its own than if you manage to pull off a B in three at once.

I don't know why people find it so outrageous and doubt their abilities to tackle 2+ sciences at the same time. Especially if you are a science major, it's going to happen. I've done up to 4 sciences + their labs in one semester, and it's completely doable (Orgo II, Bio II, Bio II Lab, Physics, Physics Lab, Cal 2, and British Lit and Volleyball).

I'm just saying, time management is everything.

thats the plan next year. doable?

People are ****ing themselves over nothing. WTF are you gonna when its really time to study? Take these two and enjoy summer; you will have time left over but just make sure to try.

Biology Lecture
Biology Lab
Orgo Lecture
Orgo Lab
Foreign Language class

Your lectures and labs are separate? They must be pretty intense then. In my second year (when I took orgo), I had physiology (with lab), ecology (with lab), cell biology, organic chemistry (with lab) + filler. It was doable.
try not to let things accumulate and you'll do fine.

Yes, my lectures and labs are separate. I asked whether or not my schedule is double because many people told me that taking 2 labs with intense writing (10-20 pages reports for orgo and 3-5 pages reports for biology every week) and 2 science courses are very difficult at my school. Because of this, many students take a lab in the summer, which is not a bad idea. I wish I can do this, but I already have plans for this summer. But, I think I can still manage my schedule for next year. I will buy the textbooks after my finals and study them this summer to prepare for next year.

yes, i've done it and it was not hard at all. they are so totally different that they won't clash or confuse you. it's easily doable.