Bio Blood pressure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j029337

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going over the Kaplan BB and it says that the "hypothalamus controls such things as hunger, thirst, sex drive, water balance, blood pressure and temperature regulation."

I was making notes and I looked online and there are sources that say the medulla controls it, and others that say the hypothalamus controls it. I also asked two doctors and they both thought it would be the medulla oblongata over the hypothalamus.

It seems like to me, the hypothalamus can control blood pressure by acting on the posterior pituitary gland which in turn can target the kidneys/arterioles to change blood pressure.
The Campbell Reece Biology textbook says that the medulla oblongata controls visceral functions including heart and blood vessel activity. Also, the Vagus nerve, which comes from the medulla, controls your blood pressure among several other things.

It's sounding like it can be both, so which is it? Or which is the best answer?
The original question wasn't asking for blood pressure by the way, it was asking for breathing rate. "What region of the brain controls the breathing rate?" If it asked for the blood pressure, what would the best answer be?

Members don't see this ad.

They both function in related processes like every part of the brain contributes...

Think of the medulla regulating processes that are necessary to live.
Think of the hypo regulating body processes and maintaining homeostasis.

hmm this seems like a brain buster! If the question ask for the controller of blood pressure I would go w/ hypothalamus bc it regulates ACTH stimulates production of Aldosterone which increases blood pressure. I have not seen a question dealing w/ blood pressure and the brain, they will most likely give choices of other hormones and not brain parts. Also, I when I went thru the kaplan book I found some other inaccuracies, just fyi.

hope that helps!