Bio classes to take before DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out my schedule for next year. I'm a rising sophomore and I'm planning on taking the DAT next summer. Therefore, I want to make sure I take bio classes this year that will reduce the amount of self-teaching I'll have to do next summer before my DAT.

BTW, I've already taken two semesters of bio, one was called Introduction to Evolution, Genetics, and Ecology and the second was called Introuction to Cell Processes (just so you know that I'm not missing on on some stuff)

SO... which of the following three bio courses do you think it would be most advantageous to take next year? I'm having trouble strategizing and can't seem to find an overview of the bio topics covered on the DAT:
Bio122 - Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology
Bio221 - Biology of Organisms (taxonomy and phylogeny stuff)
Bio300 - Genetics

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take anatomy & physiology. As a business major, I only took General Bio 1 & 2 and one semester of Comparative Anatomy & Physiology. My BIO DAT score isn't amazing and I had to learn/each myself a lot of new material when studying for the DAT, but if I hadn't taken anatomy & phys it would have been a lotttt worse.

hey,

idk when you're taking your dat, but if you have time in your schedule (or maybe split it between 2 semesters), i think all three of those classes are good ones to take. i actually just was talking to a friend the other day about how i feel like the dat is largely those three classes: genetics, human physiology, and evolution of invertebrates. the evolution of invert class for me went over a lot of taxonomy and just the different systems (respiratory, circulatory, etc.) and characteristics of inverts, which you'll have to know for the dat (or at least it's in the kaplan book). i actually haven't taken the dat yet, but based on the material i've been studying, those 3 classes will at least allow you to become familiar with a huge chunk of the info on the dat.

of course theres additional stuff on the dat too, but in my opinion, i think those 3 classes are very helpful. and since you're a rising sophomore, and not a junior or anything, then i think there should be plenty of time for you to take more courses that'll help with the dat.

but..... if i had to choose one class out of those three, i think i'd also have to say physiology. it'll cover a TON of topics... nervous, circulatory, excretory, digestion, reproduction etc. etc.

Def. take cellular biology.

Although an A&P course would be helpful. Most of the questions that show up on the DAT that are related to A&P are pretty straight forward and something you can easily learn on your own. I find that the harder ones that required a deeper understanding were questions related to the cell. And from the test that i took, I had 1 physiology question, and the rest of were molecular/genetics/cellular...1 ecology.