Bio Fun

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that the liver is responsible for hormone synthesis.

What hormones does the liver synthesize?

The only things I could find in a Google search: angiotensin and cholesterol.
Are those the only hormones?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure it produces coagulation factors like prothrombin and fribrinogen, but I dont know if those are hormones.

Whatever chemical messenger to stimulate glycogenisis and Glucogenisis is also another possibility.

why do you want to know?

This isn't fun, not even "bio fun"

The liver produces insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which is involved in growth; it is secreted in response to growth hormone stimulation.

The liver also makes angiotensinogen (not angiotensin...remember, angiotensinogen is cleaved in the blood to form angiotensin I by the action of renin, which is released by the kidneys). I'm not sure if angiotensinogen can be considered a hormone though.

The only other hormone that I can think of that is produced in the liver is thrombopoietin, which is used to regulate platelet production by the bone marrow.

Maybe others know of other hormones produced by the liver. I don't think you need to know which hormones are produced by the liver for the MCAT though (you might need to know IGF-1 and you most likely need to know about angiotensinogen but I have doubts about thrombopoietin and any others); I can see the hypothalamic and pituitary hormones being the important ones to know (in addition to what hormones are released in response to these).

Members don't see this ad :)