bio medical dilemma

Started by billgates
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

billgates

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😕
i am a student of bio med engg final year in india. my trade is medical electronics. i want to know what would be the best option for me to give my career a lift.. the various options availble to me are

1. get a job in india
2. go for ms in usa or any other country
3. whether to go for biotechnolgy or biomedical(* depending on the demand)
4.can i even go for ms in biotech( is it entirely diff from bme <medical electronics>)

plz elaborate on these issues

rply soon
 
billgates said:
😕
i am a student of bio med engg final year in india. my trade is medical electronics. i want to know what would be the best option for me to give my career a lift.. the various options availble to me are

1. get a job in india
2. go for ms in usa or any other country
3. whether to go for biotechnolgy or biomedical(* depending on the demand)
4.can i even go for ms in biotech( is it entirely diff from bme <medical electronics>)

plz elaborate on these issues

rply soon

I'm not sure why you're posting this on SDN... you planning on going to med/dental/pharma/pa school after the MS? Anyway, no matter. I will reply anyway. 🙂

1. the job market there is certainly booming, as they struggle with incentives to keep their scientists/engineers; depends on what you'd rather do-- make monkey and stay at your level now, or go to the next level and sooner propects of making more
2. I'll warn you that top BME MS programs in the US are tough to get into. For instance, where I am we have a MS and PhD program (top rated) and there are literally hundreds of MS applications for only a handful of spots... PhD is actually easier to get into! Biotech MS programs are everywhere now, so you'd have to do careful evaluation of the program to be sure you're in one with a good rep (and good resources and experiences).
3. Still depends on what you want to do. BME= EE and ME applications (neurophysiology, cardiac physiology and mechanics, medical devices), tissue engineering, and some molecular engineering (most common, of course, there are exceptions to what I've listed); Biotech is a broader brush that usually covers everything from molecular (genetics, molecular bio, cellular bio, etc) to some pharma applications and botany, etc. Biotech is more likely to get you into many biotech companies (especially if you do a joint MS/MBA program) and BME is more specialized but (I think) more often lucrative.
4. Not sure what you mean if you "can" go for it-- b/c biotech is such a broad field, it includes people with engineering backgrounds who have taken the main science courses which most BME programs would cover anyway (Bio, Chem, Orgo). Do you mean are you qualified? It is definitely very far removed from medical electronics at the degree program level (but, certainly, biotech companies are involved in that area). If that's what you relly want to do, BME seems better for you.

PS: are you at IIT?
 
fdoroml, man thanks for rplyin

by reading ur post what i was able to perceive that

1. it is difficult to get in ms bme( is there any thing extra diff also from gre score, gpas,sops-----???????? 😕 that i can may b work on)

2. acc to u bme is more lucrative!!! rite

3. ofcourse i can go for biotech but bme seems to better......rite

p.s- sry man i m not frm iit

plz do rply if i a gettin it rite
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No Prob.

Yeah, I think MOST of the BME MS progs here are pretty tough to get into. I can only speak about ours, though, b/c I know the faculty on the admissions committee and get to hear all the amazement over how competetive it is (and they repeatedly are amazed that the PhD is statistically easier to get a spot in!).

That said, there are a ton of BME progs around the country. It depends on what you're going for-- if you want the best progs, they are very tough-- it's not just about being the perfect student and test-taker, but also finding a niche for yourself and getting good LORs. You'd have to wow the top programs with involvement in something great (have no clue what sort of example to give you!) and be very eloquent in writing your essay(s). I still say the LORs are a big key since they don't interview for many MS progs (ours included). If you get a top name in BME (or one who has a history of working with or graduating from the prgram where you intend to apply) to write a super-strong letter, then it should be much easier to make the cut.

As for what I can tell, yes, BME is typically more lucrative. Of course, it does depend on what you want to do, specifically. I can say that there is always a shortage of engineer-types and engineering positions tend to pay better than your regular old scientist positions. I can speak from both sides b/c I have an MS in biotech (did I mention that before?) and I've seen graduates of the BME program do so much better-- we're talking the difference in all the out of work people from biotech companies that shut down when the economy died and the idiot was elected pres, and someone with a friggin' BSE in BME (yep, not even a MS) making like 60k just going around and servicing medical equipment. I know them all. Oh, and some past graduates of the BME MS prog have gone on to places like Bell Labs and really well-positioned medical implant/device companies (and even a few to McKinsey consulting co). They all make good money.

But, of course, take it for what it's worth. It's my own opinion (though it's from experience). The only people I know who graduated with the MS in biotech from my program that are doing reasonably well (more than just lab monkeys, project research staff, or mid-level marketing/management at a company) are those who also have MBAs. I think the market is just flooded for biotech-- they hire from bio, chem, engineering, physics, and biotech major pools. Lots of competition.

Best of luck,
FD
 
thanks again for ur valuable info.........

one last question for u ...

if i end up doing it (ms) from sum less recognized univ what major effect is it goin to have on my carrer .. am i goin to struggle too much for job or is it just that in the intial that u get sum low pay or sumthin

p.s-were from r u doin ur ms biotech 👍