bio or biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migs54

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys right now im a bio major but seriously thinking about making a change towards biochem since ive heard/ been told it looks better on med-scholl apps. a problem is i havent been able to find a typical biochem cirriculum on many shcools websites. I know it is more math concentrated, I cant stand math by the way but I can do math. Anyone know what an outline of biochen cirriclum. also should i make the change? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

High Migs,

I dunno too much about the Biochem major, but at our school you need the following:

2 sem gen chem and 2 sem gen chem lab
1 sem orgo chem with 1 sem orgo chem lab
2 sem physics
3 sem bio
2 sem P-chem
Cal I, II, III
2 sem Biochem
Biochem lab

Being a biochem major does not look any better than being a bio major, and it won't be something that will help you get accepted either. You should major in the subject you have most interest in. I was a biochem major because it focused on science more pertinent to humans. Bio focused too much on stuff like animal physiology and ecology, 2 classes I did not want to take. But if you are interested in it bio go for it. Remember though that your GPA will count more for anything else than your major, whether its bio or underwater basket weaving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what you like better. If you don't like mat, then don't do biochem, You'll need at least 2 semesters (probably more) to get through p chem. I was a biochem major cuz i loved both bio & chem and couldn't decide between the 2.

The outline above looks about right. Mine was slightly different - the major was offered through the chem dept so mine was much more chem based - had 3 semesters of p chem!

Major in what you like better. If you don't like mat, then don't do biochem, You'll need at least 2 semesters (probably more) to get through p chem. I was a biochem major cuz i loved both bio & chem and couldn't decide between the 2.

The outline above looks about right. Mine was slightly different - the major was offered through the chem dept so mine was much more chem based - had 3 semesters of p chem!

I guess I lucked out because as a biochem major, I did not have to take p chem, and we could take physics w/o calc. Our department was based from the biochem department at the medical/graduate school so we had a focus on protiens, enzymes, and genes instead of the chemistry, in fact we barely had to remember any structures of compounds. If our department was more chem based, I would have majored in microbiology and immunology.

I picked biochem over bio because I wanted the challenge. Biochem majors had to take honors calculus and physics. The bio dept at my school is very disorganized mainly because of all the bureaucracy. When I saw the biochem dept, the friendly secretaries who let me use the hell out of their copy machines, and the great research facilities available to undergrads (our biochem dept is part of the medical school so $$$), as well as the closer interactions with a smaller number of professors and students.