BIO, Organic Chem, Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparty Corn Fed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i was just curious if any of you had advice on when to take biology, organic chem and physics. When is the best time to take these classes and optimize mcat scores. Soph or Junior? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'll just tell you what I did and I think you'll see the benefits. I took the intro gen chem my fresh year, and last year (sophomore year) I took physics, ochem, and intro bio. I then took the mcat in August. Now the benefit is that I really didn't need that much prep for the mcat, I studied for maybe 1.5 months of solid prep, and since everything was fresh in my mind, I could do it. Secondly, I don't have to worry about taking the April exam during my classes, most of my classmates are studying for it and its so much easier to focus on your course work and not on both. just my $.02.
hehe I've always wanted to say that!

If you don't mind me asking...what type of scores did you get by doing it this way? Did you take any test prep classes? You can pm me if you'd like...thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend taking 3 of the core pre-med requirements in one year as a previous poster said. Remember you have to do well in those courses in addition to doing well on the MCAT. Ignoring english and math (you can probably find an easy version of each of these if you need to) I would take gen.chem. freshman year, bio and physics soph. year, and orgo the summer before junior year. The requirements for your major may preclude you from doing this, but I think it makes things a lot easier. Of all the pre med requirements, I would take orgo closest to the MCAT if possible because its the one that I seemed to forget the fastest.

haha I took my classes the EXACT way PatDAddy said to. However only do this if you are a science major, b/c it may help to keep it fresh in your mind. I didn't look at science for my whole Fall semester Junior year and when I started studying for the mCAT, I forgot a lot. In contrast, other premeds were taking physics their junior year and it was fresh for them.

p.s. Post # 900!