Bio question--erythrocytes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orgodox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan Asked..
Which of the following cells does NOT have DNA in its nucleus?
the answer was erythrocytes. But that doesnt make sense to me because I know they have no DNA but they also have no nucleus.

Wikipedia also said they have no nucleus "Erythrocytes in mammals are anucleate when mature, meaning that they lack a cell nucleus and as a result, have no DNA."

Any thoughts? Any its lame to say they meant no DNA period because they could have easily left out in its nucleus and it would have been clear with out need to further modify? And that statement makes their answer choice not answer the question they asked considering erythrocytes lack a nucleus!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are right. Is this mistake in the Kaplan blue book? if so, which page is it?
Erythrocyes have no nucleas, and therefore, no DNA.
I would also like to add a couple of important point about this. Erythrocyes don't have mitochondria. They produce their energy by fermentation. Good that you brought this subject up. You can see this subject frequent times in Bio multiple choice questions in different tests.

Confirmed. Erythrocyte lose their nucleus as they mature in order to store more hemoglobin to links more oxygen molecules.

Mature erythrocytes have no nuclei. They extrude them as they mature and that is why they are called biconcave discs and they do not have MHV complex. However, chick erythrocytes are the exception, they DO have the nucleus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there such a thing as a nucleus with no DNA in it? I mean... that's the whole point of the nucleus... It's like asking "What kind of sandwich is made of just two slices of bread?"

I think what is going on here is this.

Erythrocytes have no DNA in their nucleus just because THERE IS NO NUCLEUS.

I think this is just a lame "trick question," kinda like "How many months have 30 days in them?" Most people would say something like 5, but there are actually 11. You know?