Bio Question--speciation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What must happen first during speciation?
--Is it mutation?

2. Does anyone remmember the cheetah question that everyone was talking about a while back?

Members don't see this ad.

1. What must happen first during speciation?
--Is it mutation?

2. Does anyone remmember the cheetah question that everyone was talking about a while back?

The two types of Speciation that i can remember from my ecology class are Allopatric SPeciation which is due to geographical isolation where the species diverge genotypically or phenotypically and Sympatric Speciation where species diverge while inhabiting the same place due to random mutation such as polyploidy. I'm sure there are other forms of speciation, however I cant remember them off the top of my head.

As far as the cheetah question is concerned it goes something like this.

the static allele frequencies, leading possibly to threat of extinction among the cheetah popluation, is closely related to a condition called . . .

a) punctuated equilibrium
b) catatrophism
c) gentetic variation
d) hybridization
e) genetic equilibrium

answer is E, population equilibrium remains constant in the absence of microevolution factors. the hardy-weinberg

Thanks alot!
i remmember the the speciation question when i took the DAT the first time, and it asked what the first step in speciation, i dont remember the choices, but i remember putting mutation as the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)