Bio Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think, this is a vague question?

Nucleotides are linked by:
a. H-bonds
b. Phosphodiester bonds
c. Covalent bonds
d. VanderWalls
e. Gycosidic bonds

The key says the answer is A, but could B, be the answer to since nuclotides adjacent to each other are linked by phosphodiester bonds. Also, will there be vague question with two answer on the test and we have to pick the most wrong one!? (That would be crazy)!

Here is another vague one from Topscore:

Which controls the breathing function
a. Pons
b. Medulla
c. Hypothalmus
d. A and C
e. A and B

The answer is E. I guess E is the most correct although could B, be the right answer too or not!?

Members don't see this ad.

Nucleotides are linked to each other on opposite antiparallel strands by hydrogen bonds but linked to each other on the same strand by phosphodiester bonds, so yea in that respect it is a little vague but generally it is assumed that they are talking about hydrogen bonds.

the second one is vague though. I would have picked only medulla. I thought pons only acts as a relay center between the cerebrum and the cerebellum.

both the pons and medulla control breathing. but if pons wasn't a choice, then yeah, medulla would be your choice.

technically its not even the medulla, rather the upper medulla that is involved in controlling the respiratory process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will there be questions about assuming something like that!! (For example, first question)!

I doubt it but you never know :scared: although I'd like to think they would make the questions more specific than something that vague.

i have a problem with this question to. when i read it i thought it was very vauge. the definition of a nucleotide is a sugare+base+phosphate, the more phosphates then it goes from mononucleotide to dinucleotide to trinucleotide. a sugar base complex without the phosphate is a nucleoside FYI. thus i have an issue with the question cause if it said how are the nucleotide bases bonded then yes it would be hydrogen bonding. i believe they ask this same question on topscore and yes it is more clear on top score, kaplin questions on the other hand can be very vague.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...cleotide&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

this is a really nice picture of it....i know, i'm next in line for streetwolf's brain..:)

Thanks for that!!

I had another question, Do Fungi perform kreb cycle?

Also, Is Vitamin A, steroid?

Also, Fructose, which act as anergy source in animal sperm, what gland produces it?
--Is it Cowper's gland or seminal vesicles?

Thanks for that!!

I had another question, Do Fungi perform kreb cycle?

Also, Is Vitamin A, steroid?

Also, Fructose, which act as anergy source in animal sperm, what gland produces it?
--Is it Cowper's gland or seminal vesicles?

I think it's safe to think this way...

Yes, fungi performs kreb cycle. They are eukaryotes thus have mitochondria thus harvest chemical energy via cellular respiration.

isn't fructose produced by the bulbourethral gland? hmmm do correct me if i'm wrong...
and fungi...hmmm i think i recall reading something about how it only goes through the ETC and Glycolysis....(or is that just bacteria?) ah! my brain hurttttssss

The seminal vesicles add fructose to nourish the sperm and prostaglandins to promote contractions in the female.
The bulbourethral gland (cowpers gland) produces mucus which lubricates the penis.

ok check this out:
3 sets of glands contribute to semen...seminal vesicles=FRUCTOSE (predominant energy form for sperm....prostate gland=forms liquid (secretes alkaline fluid).....bulbourtheral=lubrication of semen

some other key facts:
epidymis...stores sperm till it matures
vas deferen=transport of sperm to the urethra
seminiferous tubules=make actual sperm

vitamin A is a fat solube alochol...obtained from carotene...
it's essential for growth and protection from nigh blindless...hope that helps some:D

vitamin D however is a steroid hormone which aids maintaing normal levels of calcium as well as in calcium reabsorption:)

I think it's safe to think this way...

Yes, fungi performs kreb cycle. They are eukaryotes thus have mitochondria thus harvest chemical energy via cellular respiration.

Yea, I thought of it like that too, but one of the practice problems said, it doent incorporate kreb cycle? I thought it would since it is an eukaryotic!

Oh, and thanks everyone for the other answers!!:D