Bio Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

far123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Part of the brain that regulates heart rate is the
a.Thalamus
b.Hypothalamus
c.cerebellum
d.pons
e.thalamus
the answer is d, but I think it should be b, any idea why d is the right answer?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is correct, pons. This is because the pons is part of the hindbrain, which also consists of the medulla. These function primarily in autonomic functions such as breathing, heartrate etc.... The hypothalamus is more toward the mid-forebrain, and can serve as an endocrine function (produces and secretes ADH, as well as releasing factors for other hormones in the anterior pituitary gland). The hypothalamus is also involved in higher order functions such as learning & memory. Hope that helps:thumbup:

Medulla + Pons: Controls breathing and heart rate...
Hypothalmus: Controls blood pressure and temperature (among other things)...

There is your confusion which also confused me before, but the two are different in those aspects that you might think are similar haha if that made sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
yes the answer is correct..it's pons and medulla. they control heart rate and breathing

Just read this yesterday. So the Medulla, Pons and Cerebellum make up the hind brain, the medulla also known as the medulla oblongata controls breathing, heart rate etc but the job of the pons is actually as a relay to allow the cerebral cortex to communicate with the cerebellum.The pons is not responsible for breathing that is the job of the medulla oblongata but I think because it plays a role in the hindbrain where the medulla is then it is the closest answer. Hypothalamus does not control breathing it controls blood pressure and other visceral functions like thirst, sex drive, temperature regulation etc. Hope that helps.

I've always been taught that breathing rate is controlled in the Medulla, where the pons are located too. I know, pretty tricky! At first glance, i thought it was hypothalamus...