1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

bio question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ekl1984, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ekl1984

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So I know that an egg cell and a sperm cell are each haploid (with 23 chromosomes and 23 chromatids). Then when they fuze they create a diploid zygote with 46 chromosomes. But when are the chromatids of each chromosome duplicated?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 911dds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Once the sperm and egg meet they continue with meiosis II. Remember the egg stopped at Prophase I of meiosis. Ovulation completed Meiosis I and once the egg and sperm join it continues with Meiosis II the duplication portion. Am I correct? Anyone?

4. ekl1984

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think you have things confused. There is no "duplication portion" in meiosis II. When the egg and sperm fuze they have each gone through meiosis II and are haploid with 1 chromatid on each chromosome. The zygote is diploid, but i think each chromosome still had only 1 chromatid. so my question is, when do the chromosomes duplicate their chromatids?

5. chessxwizard

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They duplicate their chromatids prior to mitosis that occurs after fertilization.