Bio. question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWantSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Which of the following sequences correctly indicates the potential ATP yield of the indicated molecule from greatest ATP yield to least ATP yield?

A. Pyruvate, ethanol, glucose, Acetyl CoA
B. Glucose, Pyruvate, Acetyl CoA, NADH
C. Glucose, Pyruvate, NADH, Acetyl CoA
D. Glucose, FADH2, Acetyl CoA, Pyruvate
E. Glucose, FADH2, NADH, Pyruvate

I am thinking the answer "E" because Glucose would produce 36-38ATP, FADH2 yield 3ATP, NADH yield 2ATP, and Pyruvate yield 1ATP ; but, the correct answer is "B". Anyone help me why? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Question: Which of the following sequences correctly indicates the potential ATP yield of the indicated molecule from greatest ATP yield to least ATP yield?

A. Pyruvate, ethanol, glucose, Acetyl CoA

I am thinking the answer "E" because Glucose would produce 36-38ATP, FADH2 yield 3ATP, NADH yield 2ATP, and Pyruvate yield 1ATP ; but, the correct answer is "B". Anyone help me why? Thanks in advance.

think about complete oxidation for each molecule.

think about complete oxidation for each molecule.

Ooo, I mess up all the ATP conversions. :eek: I just reviewed again.
SO, A. Pyruvate, ethanol, glucose, Acetyl CoA
would yield 15ATP, 2 ATP, 38ATP, 12ATP
would yield 38ATP, 15ATP, 12ATP, 3ATP
would yield 38, 15, 3, 12
would yield 38, 2, 12, 15
would yield 38, 2,3,15

Is that right to you? and THANKS!!

I agree with IWantSmile, the answer is B. First of all each NADH yields about 2.5 ATPs, FADH2 yields bout 1.5 ATPs , so E is wrong. Now, Glucose generates evertyhing, NADH, FADH2 ,Acetyl Coa and Pyruvate in the process of glycolysis, so this is the biggest ATP generator here, now, Pyruvate is the end product of glycolysis which produces Acetyl coa, FADH2, NADH , so that is second. Acetyl Coa, which can make NADH and FADH2, so that is third, and NADH can only make 2.5 ATPs by going through the Electron transport chain. So that is the sequence from largest generator to smalles. Acetyl Coa generates about 10-12 ATPs(depending on a book), Pyruvate about 15, because when Pyruvate gets converted to Acetyl Coa NADH is produced which you know generates 2.5-3 ATPs (depending on a book)
Hope this helps.

I agree with IWantSmile, the answer is B. First of all each NADH yields about 2.5 ATPs, FADH2 yields bout 1.5 ATPs , so E is wrong. Now, Glucose generates evertyhing, NADH, FADH2 ,Acetyl Coa and Pyruvate in the process of glycolysis, so this is the biggest ATP generator here, now, Pyruvate is the end product of glycolysis which produces Acetyl coa, FADH2, NADH , so that is second. Acetyl Coa, which can make NADH and FADH2, so that is third, and NADH can only make 2.5 ATPs by going through the Electron transport chain. So that is the sequence from largest generator to smalles. Acetyl Coa generates about 10-12 ATPs(depending on a book), Pyruvate about 15, because when Pyruvate gets converted to Acetyl Coa NADH is produced which you know generates 2.5-3 ATPs (depending on a book)
Hope this helps.

great explanation, thanks!