Bio Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elaine07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was doing some practice problems and I have problems with these questions. I don't know if my answers are any right. Can anyone please help me verify it? Thanks a lot...

1) This type of junction is formed when membrane channels of adjacent plasma membranes adhere to each other.

a. tight junction
b. Cell junction
c. Desmosome
d. Gap junction

2) Which of the following is not a characteristic of meiosis?

a. Four haploid gametes
b. A reduction division
c. Two steps of cell division
d. Two haploid gametes

3) The large fluid-filled spaces within the brain are called the:

a. meninges.
b. sulci
c. gyri.
d. ventricles.

4) The three divisions of the brain that make up the brainstem are the:
a. medulla oblongata, thalamus, and pons.
b. medulla oblongata, thalamus, and midbrain.
c. medulla oblongata, midbrain, and pons.
d. medulla oblongata, pons, and cerebellum.

5) Both sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions are tonically active, which means they:
a. have opposing effects.
b. continually conduct impulses to autonomic effectors.
c. continually conduct impulses to the brain.
d. are hydrolyzed by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase.

6) The sense organs involved in the sense of balance are found in the vestibule and the:

a. organ of Corti.
b. macula.
c. otoliths.
d. semicircular canals.

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost sure about 4 and 6.

C & C

#1 I think it would be gap junction since "channel" are adjoining. Tight junction is almost impermeable.

For 2. I would what you picked, but technically isnt it kinda stupid question since if you have four haploid cells, you will definately have 2.

4. C

Also, is it possible if you could tell us what practice tests is it from, those are some interesting questions!

1 - I'd say gap junct too b/c I know that gap junctions are when cells are connected together by pores.

4 - Cerebellum I think is part of the hindbrain.

5 - I know for sure that the symp and parasymp DO NOT conduct impulses TO the brain b/c they are only Efferent and automomic. Maybe its 'B'?

6 - I thought it was the semicirc canals??

Members don't see this ad :)
1 - I'd say gap junct too b/c I know that gap junctions are when cells are connected together by pores.

4 - Cerebellum I think is part of the hindbrain.

5 - I know for sure that the symp and parasymp DO NOT conduct impulses TO the brain b/c they are only Efferent and automomic. Maybe its 'B'?

6 - I thought it was the semicirc canals??

yes, your 5 make sense but 6 is a weird one

5. Sympathic and parasym. are from autonomic nervous system, which only has motor neurons while somatic nervous system have both motor and sensory neurons. Since, ANS only has motor neurons, which conduct impulse away from the brain, therefore it can't be C. B is the only good choice.

6. C. The otolith organs (the utricle and the saccule) are structures in the inner ear, specifically in the vestibular labyrinth, that are sensitive to gravity and linear acceleration. Because of their orientation in the head, the utricle is sensitive to a change in horizontal movement, and the saccule gives information about vertical acceleration (such as when in an elevator).

However, its hard to say why semicircular canals could not be the answer?
Plz correct me if I am wrong!

these are my opinions... i have not looked at a text book, so take these with a grain of salt.

#1 - correct
#2 - correct
#3 - ? i dunno
#4 - incorrect, C
#5 - sounds right
#6 - incorrect, D

What The Heck!!!

Ok Guys, Are You Telling Me That You Learned All Of This In Undergrad Bio, Because I Did Not!!!

However, its hard to say why semicircular canals could not be the answer?
Plz correct me if I am wrong!

The question asks about balance. From your answer, the otolith organs deal more with feeling the rush as you're accelerating. Semicircular canals should be the better answer.

Hi, I was doing some practice problems and I have problems with these questions. I don't know if my answers are any right. Can anyone please help me verify it? Thanks a lot...

1) This type of junction is formed when membrane channels of adjacent plasma membranes adhere to each other.

a. tight junction
b. Cell junction
c. Desmosome
d. Gap junction

2) Which of the following is not a characteristic of meiosis?

a. Four haploid gametes
b. A reduction division
c. Two steps of cell division
d. Two haploid gametes

3) The large fluid-filled spaces within the brain are called the:

a. meninges.
b. sulci
c. gyri.
d. ventricles.

4) The three divisions of the brain that make up the brainstem are the:
a. medulla oblongata, thalamus, and pons.
b. medulla oblongata, thalamus, and midbrain.
c. medulla oblongata, midbrain, and pons.
d. medulla oblongata, pons, and cerebellum.

5) Both sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions are tonically active, which means they:
a. have opposing effects.
b. continually conduct impulses to autonomic effectors.
c. continually conduct impulses to the brain.
d. are hydrolyzed by the enzyme acetylcholinesterase.

6) The sense organs involved in the sense of balance are found in the vestibule and the:

a. organ of Corti.
b. macula.
c. otoliths.
d. semicircular canals.

Gosh, what school are you at taking these types of questions?

Marion