Bio section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brood910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I took MCAT last year, bio section rarely required any details on which I had to spend 453958440598534 hours to memorize. Most passages were about experiments, and I felt like I was given assignments to analyze scientific journals.

So my question is, do we still need to focus on memorizing details or do we have to focus on understanding journals?

Members don't see this ad.

You need both. Oddly, my MCAT was very much like the AAMC practice tests (not too much in the way of experiments). Sometimes, some passages on the AAMCs look crazy, but if you take a step back and think about the concepts they're testing, the passages become much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you elaborate? I understand your point but I'm not sure how you go about that. I'm done with content review and know my material well.. But the AAMC full length BS has been kicking my butt and I need to figure out why. Thanks

I remember on one of the AAMC practice tests, there was some crazy thing involving a protein or something (something experimental). It seemed very convoluted when I first saw it and I had no idea what it was testing. I got a lot of questions wrong on that passage, but when I went over that passage, I realized it was just testing simple concepts like transcription and translation and if I had realized that, answering the questions would have been so much easier.

Another example was in PS. I remember a passage that was just testing springs, but the whole passage itself was so convoluted that I had no idea what it was asking until I started reviewing it.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember on one of the AAMC practice tests, there was some crazy thing involving a protein or something (something experimental). It seemed very convoluted when I first saw it and I had no idea what it was testing. I got a lot of questions wrong on that passage, but when I went over that passage, I realized it was just testing simple concepts like transcription and translation and if I had realized that, answering the questions would have been so much easier.

Another example was in PS. I remember a passage that was just testing springs, but the whole passage itself was so convoluted that I had no idea what it was asking until I started reviewing it.
You just describe the MCAT my friend... This test make easy concepts appear way more difficult than they are... I like when so many on SDN post their 35+ score when in reality only about 5% of test takers got 35+.