Biochem: 1999 HY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkc620

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought the most recent edition of HY Cell and Molecular Biology but just acquired a copy of the 1999 edition. I have a week until the test. Which one (if any) should I read and why? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the most recent edition of HY Cell and Molecular Biology but just acquired a copy of the 1999 edition. I have a week until the test. Which one (if any) should I read and why? Thanks.

'99 edition

2nd edition has way too much stuff in it...1st edition is a nice HY source, and if your weak in it, a week is more than enough time to get through it more than once.

I haven't seen the 99 edition (couldn't find one for a reasonable price), but the new one certainly doesn't seem like it has a lot of useless stuff in it. In fact, if you are comfortable with genetics/inherited disorders and virology and skip those chapters, it becomes a very short and quick read.

I haven't seen the 99 edition (couldn't find one for a reasonable price), but the new one certainly doesn't seem like it has a lot of useless stuff in it. In fact, if you are comfortable with genetics/inherited disorders and virology and skip those chapters, it becomes a very short and quick read.

you've just described the 99 edition. I didn't say the info was useless, it's just too much and FA already covers those topics sufficiently.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've got both of them. The new version 200+ pages and the format/layout is horrible. The '99 version is short and sweet and the bullet point format is clean, clear and not aesthetically overwhelming. In addition, the 100pgs is easily doable in one day - and I'm not the fastest reader.

Go with the '99 edition, you'll be happy you did :thumbup:

in similar situation...i have the 99 edition but is it worth it to use up a whole day in the last week b4 the exam to go through it? Would FA or UW be a better use of time this late?

in similar situation...i have the 99 edition but is it worth it to use up a whole day in the last week b4 the exam to go through it? Would FA or UW be a better use of time this late?

It would really depend on how much FA and UW you've done so far.

Even if you use the book, you don't need to give it a full day.

you've just described the 99 edition.
In which case it comes down to economics. I'd have preferred the 99 edition but wouldn't recommend to anyone to pay the going price for it. In the OP's case, since he has it already, perfect!

Good to know that the new version minus inherited diseases and virology is pretty much the meat of the 99 version... I plan on going through it again before the test and it makes me feel better knowing that this is probably where the HY stuff really is.