Biochem Abroad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nikeshp, May 25, 2008.

1. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone taken biochemistry abroad? How difficult would it be, in a place like the UK? I really wanted to study abroad for a semester, and I know that if I did, I would have to request that I actually get a number grade, nut just pass or fail, which would be fine, but I don't really want to put myself in that situation if it would be easier here. I know that its different between different universities, I go to a state university, not as good as UM or Berkeley, but it is I think ranked in the 30s for public university by USNWR, if that help any.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    I took 1 semester of biochem in London. It was the 1st year class there, but they have A-levels, so they come in a bit above freshmen year in college. I think it was easier than my school's biochem. However, it was the hardest of the science classes I took there (once I figured out how their classes work). It counted towards my major and med school.

On my AMCAS transcript the study abroad classes were all marked as P (I had to coordinate getting a copy of the study abroad transcript to be sent to AMCAS with my home school's transcript). But all my study abroad classes were graded based on the UK grading system >70% = A+, As = 64-69, Bs = 50-63, etc, and my school got the real transcript, and when I got into med school, I had to have the English school send my transcript to my med school.

4. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    >70 is an A+? how hard is this in reality?

5. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    For me, it was easy (in sciences).

You do realize that there are multiple factors that go into this, yeah. The grading system is based on Oxbridge and the belief that only God is perfect, so they don't give out 100%'s.