BIOCHEM I and II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pete415273

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to take BioChem I and II this summer and be done with the prereqs. I just noticed that my school offers it as a CHEM class not a BIOL, which is what I need 6 more hours in. I know some schools offer it in both departments. Will this count as an upper level Biology or will I need to take two more classes?
 
I am confused.. why are you taking biochem? what pre-req are you trying to knock off?

In general (there are a number of exceptions) biochem is NOT required.
 
Biochem is not generally speaking considered a prerequisite. Although in many schools it is listed as a "nice-to-have" before you get in.

However, by the wording on your post, that "you need 6 more hours" it sounds like you're working on wrapping up your actual degree? If that's the case, then I would check with an academic advisor whether or not it's considered an upper level credit class and you'll know for sure.

In the school I'm doing my post-bacc, biochem is cross-listed too, but you'll get either chem or bio credit depending on which course number you used to register. Note, that I cannot assure this policy is the same for your school.

Check with an advisor, and you shall know for sure. 🙂
 
Some schools will not accept biochem as part of either chem or bio prereq, and some actually require a semester of biochem on top of the chem and bio prereqs. You don't have this confused with organic chem, right?