BIOCHEM I and II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete415273

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take BioChem I and II this summer and be done with the prereqs. I just noticed that my school offers it as a CHEM class not a BIOL, which is what I need 6 more hours in. I know some schools offer it in both departments. Will this count as an upper level Biology or will I need to take two more classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I am confused.. why are you taking biochem? what pre-req are you trying to knock off?

In general (there are a number of exceptions) biochem is NOT required.

Biochem is not generally speaking considered a prerequisite. Although in many schools it is listed as a "nice-to-have" before you get in.

However, by the wording on your post, that "you need 6 more hours" it sounds like you're working on wrapping up your actual degree? If that's the case, then I would check with an academic advisor whether or not it's considered an upper level credit class and you'll know for sure.

In the school I'm doing my post-bacc, biochem is cross-listed too, but you'll get either chem or bio credit depending on which course number you used to register. Note, that I cannot assure this policy is the same for your school.

Check with an advisor, and you shall know for sure. :)

Some schools will not accept biochem as part of either chem or bio prereq, and some actually require a semester of biochem on top of the chem and bio prereqs. You don't have this confused with organic chem, right?