Biochem/Immunobiology w/o prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed a full year of Gen Chem, Physics and several general biology/physiology courses including some upper level courses. However, I have not taken the bio sequence or the orgo sequence yet (next year). In my courses to date I have a 4.0 gpa (post-bacc).

Is it insane to take biochem or immunobiology before taking the prerequisite biology sequence? I ignored the same prerequisites for an advanced physiology course and it worked out fine. However, I don't want to miss out on taking something else this summer, if taking biochem/immuno would be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

cant say anything about biochem but immuno was pretty easy. a lot of reading though. a lot.

Biochemistry is a course unto itself. The complexity and volume of the material can be challenging. Without having the pre-reqs you will have to work harder than everyone else. I took biochem 10 years after my most recent biology and organic chemistry courses and those first few weeks I was relearning organic and acid/base concepts, not biochemistry. I felt behind the entire semester.

Really, though, think about what you're trying to do. A bad showing in biochemistry will not help you at all. Only a few schools require it and they're happy to have it as a course in-progress when you apply. Do well in the required courses for medical school first. Then spice up your transcript with these upper-level courses.

Organic is usually a prereq for biochem is all the colleges I've attended. Just because some of the basics of biochem start with organic as well as biology. My advice would be to take these before you start off with the biochem. Some of the DNA/RNA/genetics/organic will be in there and you will be grateful that you did.