Biochem instead of Organic Chemistry 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmsbxc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered in another thread already, I haven't been able to find any that are up-to-date.

Is there a list anywhere of schools that require Biochem instead of Orgo 2? I have taken Orgo 1 already and did well but this is the last possible semester I can take Orgo 2 and it's proving extremely difficult to fit into my schedule, so I was just planning on taking Biochem next semester (and maybe taking Orgo 2 after graduation if absolutely necessary). The MSAR website does a very poor job at delineating between the first and second semesters of Orgo, so it's not helping me other than noting which schools require Biochem.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Best bet is to look up the schools yourself and make a spreadsheet. Unfortunately its not as cut and dry as "yes or no" theres alot of schools that say things like "suggest", "strongly encourage", "May allow", or some other vague answer. It also changes regularly, so most older lists would be out of date.

I would just take both, as the MCAT seems to test both areas. Some iterations of the MCAT were orgo-heavy, while others were biochem heavy. Or have you already taken it?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check the websites for each school you're interested in. Start with your state schools. If there's any confusion or ambiguity, contact the school directly. Also, keep in mind that some schools may not have updated their requirements page. This might be the case with Pitt.

Also, the requirements listed for this year, tend to change with the other admission cycles. Schools will probably wait for better feedback based on the MCAT before dropping O-Chem II. I can tell you for my test date that I had O-Chem II test material, as well as plenty of Biochem. I believe a later test date group was surprised at how much O-Chem was on their test as they hadn't studied it as intently.

I think Ochem 2 is required or at least highly recommended at most schools. The MSAR isn't that reliable when it comes to prerequisites, it's best to just look at the admission requirements on each school's website that you want to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Since this is a good place to ask, Would most schools be cool with replacing orgo 2 lab with Biochem lab? I've taken both of the lectures...

You cannot assume a substitution for a required prerequisite will be accepted by a medical school. Prerequisites are typically checked after an offer of acceptance has been taken during pre-matriculation. At that time, most schools will require that you have official transcripts sent directly to the school where fulfillment of prerequisites are examined. Most schools have a process to request a waiver or appeal a decision. Some schools are exceeding strict; others easier. There is no way to have a definitive answer on this until you are processed at pre-matriculation
It sounds like I should just suck it up and take everything (even though labs I could take instead would implicitly demonstrate proficiency in orgo 2 techniques, biochem major whoo). It's not going to break my schedule, and would just be a hassle to work around. Lol

Is the requirement to show competency in a skill or to have taken a specific course? Schools are moving to the former, but the latter still prevails
Like I said, I'll probably just take it anyway. :p

Orgo 2 lab isn't required for my program but it won't significantly mess up my schedule

I email the schools I'm applying to if they don't have it listed, and I've gotten quite a few curt replies along the lines of, "We will not accept Biochemistry for Orgo II." It depends on the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I email the schools I'm applying to if they don't have it listed, and I've gotten quite a few curt replies along the lines of, "We will not accept Biochemistry for Orgo II." It depends on the school.
Sounds like it's just better to take it any way even if other schools don't care

My advisor (yup) said that only like 3 schools require calc 2 (instead of replacing it w/ stats), so there isn't much of a problem there.

Organic 2 is an easy A imo (assuming you aced Organic 1). If orgo isn't your strong suit then I'd probably avoid.

I'm kind of a semi-nontraditional student. I graduated in 2013 with a BS in bio/health sci. I took organic 1 and biochem as a senior. I've since decided that I'm going to be a doctor! Is it worth going back two years later to take organic 2? Or should I try to avoid at all costs?

I heard from a post-bacc director that schools are starting to allow replacing orgo II for biochem. But, I really wouldn't skip out from orgo II because you learn some really important reactions that are tested on the MCAT, and also apply to biochemistry.