Biochem/phys question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg777

Tooth Mechanic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q 61 from 1989 exam biochem section

Norml Hg concen is 15 gm/dl
norml arterial oxygen content 20 ml
An anemic individ breathing room air w/ a hgb conc. of 10 gm/dl blood is expected to have:

answer: norml arerial oxy. tension & reduced arterial oxygn. contnt

I dont understand what oxygen tension is. I was thinking this shoulder be lower as well, but thats not the correct answer. Anyone have an idea here?

Members don't see this ad.

1 gram has 1.37 ml o2...so 10g of hb has 13.7ml

Q 61 from 1989 exam biochem section

Norml Hg concen is 15 gm/dl
norml arterial oxygen content 20 ml
An anemic individ breathing room air w/ a hgb conc. of 10 gm/dl blood is expected to have:

answer: norml arerial oxy. tension & reduced arterial oxygn. contnt

I dont understand what oxygen tension is. I was thinking this shoulder be lower as well, but thats not the correct answer. Anyone have an idea here?

well buddy this is a simple one
Oxygen Tension: refers to the pressure of oxygen (in this case within arterial blood) and is an inherent property of the atomic structure and and atmospheric conc of oxygen and indepenent of the amount of O2 in the blood .( u may remember from boyle's law that each gas exerts its pressure indipendent of the other gases on the walls of a container ).

O2 conc: The second variable v are talking abt is the "Hb level" which carries the O2. In anemic pts the Hb level/rbc is low which means that these rbcs are able to carry lesser amount of O2 than normal rbcs with adequate levels of Hb, which in turn decreases the amount of O2 (conc.) in blood of an anemic pt. Well the bodu compensates it by increasing the no or rbc thru erythropoises, though they may contain little Hb aswell. So more the grams of Hb/L of blood, more would be the amount of Hb/L of blood
Good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotcha I think. Arterial oxygen tension is increased since we need more rbcs, but oxygen saturation is low since those suckers arent haulin enough O2

Just remeber , under a contant Atm pressure, the o2 wiil remain the same in the body no matter what, so think of Hb as O2 containers that take O2 to tissue, so if the no of containers reduce , less champaigne could be delivered to the guests (tissues), On the other hand , if u go on a mountain top, u re short on the champaigne (O2) as its tension /pressure decreases , if u go deep sea , O2 tension increases due to increase in atm pressure .