Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

Do people applying DO need Biochem? Not sure if I need to take it or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I think KCUMB and just a couple of others require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think LUCOM requires biochem and cell/molecular bio.

While some schools may not require it, I would highly recommend it.

I didn't take it due to scheduling reasons (have a job)....there are some that require it but I got a lot of iis without it

I think LUCOM requires biochem and cell/molecular bio.
Yes, LUCOM does require biochem and/or cellular/micro biology. Same for UNECOM. UNECOM does offer an online biochem course that is essentially what the first year med students take and is acceptable for a lot of MD and DO programs. Some schools will not accept the online course, but a decent amount do. Best thing do to is to ask the school(s) you are interested in and see if they take the credits.

Do you take the online class at UNECOM before applying? How does that work? UNECOM is one of the schools that interests me.

Do you take the online class at UNECOM before applying? How does that work? UNECOM is one of the schools that interests me.
I think you have to complete the course before Jan 1 of that application cycle... you can still apply and be working on it. If I were you I would start it as soon as possible, do it quickly, and do well in it. Most, if not all, med schools are rolling admissions. UNECOM is a good school, so it will be competitive. The earlier you apply the better shot you have.

Will the schools change their requirements to include Biochem since the 2015 MCAT will be more Biochem intensive?

Don't know. I think it is a good idea to have some exposure to biochem. It does put things together, conceptually.

I think you have to complete the course before Jan 1 of that application cycle... you can still apply and be working on it. If I were you I would start it as soon as possible, do it quickly, and do well in it. Most, if not all, med schools are rolling admissions. UNECOM is a good school, so it will be competitive. The earlier you apply the better shot you have.

You only need to have completed it by matriculation, it will not affect the interview process or acceptance.

DMU requires it

You have to complete it by matriculation. I'm taking it now :shrug:

As others have said, UNE requires biochem -- as does MSU. I'm also taking it now, so it's not impossible to be accepted without it completed!

Edit: to MSU that is. I withdrew from UNE, so I'm not sure if completing prior to applying is significantly helpful or not.

I spoke at length with Joel Daboub who is the asst Admissions Dean at TCOM and Patricia Gwirtz and both of them could not stress enough the importance of Biochem. So much to where I am going to take two semesters instead of one.