Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

biochem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by smithj16, Nov 25, 2005.

1. smithj16

smithj16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is is a good idea to take biochem before med school? I come from a Biology and Chemistry background, but do not want to take biochem if it is not necessary. Is it really advanced in med achool where a foundation in it is needed?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Biochem is an easier course in med school than undergrad.

The most difficult courses in first year are anatomy and histology. Take either one of those courses instead.

4. DORocksMySocks

DORocksMySocks Poop Is Funny!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Michelle thinks you should take Biochem....Rife is easy and it is going to be your only class anyway. Besides you are already registered for it! HaHaHa

5. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have time, I don't think it would hurt to take it.

6. DORocksMySocks

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I guess you are not going to have the pleasure of working with Dr. Rife after all....I am sure you will miss the excitement of memorizing glycolsis and the Kreb's Cycle. Tracy will surely miss you as well. It is unfortunate. On the bright side you have not totally distanced yourself from campus because you still have to present at the URC. Thank goodness I got myself out of that this year.....Kudos to you though! I will see you on Sunday when we attempt to fight off the hell that is lab 7. Did you look at it? Barf. It does not appear to be something that I will enjoy. Pease.

7. DORocksMySocks

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Or Peace. Rather :barf:

8. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Same boat here too. Never took biochem and won't take it until med school. Is this a disadvantage for me? Many med students have told me no. Med students please chime in on this one. Thanks. :thumbup:

9. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Like I said in my above post, it's one of the easiest courses in the first year. I never took biochem and I did fine.

10. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good to hear, thanks! :horns:

11. melissa123

melissa123 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm jealous!! Unfortunately, Biochem I is required for my degree, and my advisor basically told me to not only take Biochem I, but Biochem II also!! It is such a boring class :sleep: . If you aren't required to take it for your degree, then I would advise to wait till med school. Save your self the hell.

12. mcandy

mcandy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    careful thoug cuz some schools require it for admission. (ie UNECOM)

13. ClubberLang

ClubberLang Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with OSU 100%. I took it in undergrad and it was much harder than it is in med school. It is probably the easiest class you will take first year. Take either physio or anatomy.

14. smithj16

smithj16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for everyones imput...can anyone from DMU agree that I should't need to take it since that is where I am going next year?

15. ambernikel

ambernikel ambernikel
    5+ Year Member

I'm taking it in undergrad right now and it isn't bad at all. But then again, I'm into chemistry. I know some schools require it. I think it's nice to have a bit of foundation to build on in med school. I think it really depends on the school, the teacher and what all they emphasize in the class. We were talking today about what we are doing now and what they do in med school. My teacher said he isn't making us memorize (and he's the memorization king), because he wants us to know the principles. We spend most of the time talking about why things attach to what and what happens.

16. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Biochem major here. I'm taking biochem I now in undergrad and I feel like I am still in bio 101/102. Nothing complicated yet and only 3-4 weeks of class. I don't think this class is going to prep me much for biochem in med school, but perhaps your schools have more rigorous biochem classes.

17. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am sorry but it depends on your school and the individual, don't take any one person's advice as fact. Here at UMDNJ it is notoriously one of the harder first year classes, especially since we have Biochem and Physio first in the fall and Anatomy and Micro in the spring. I feel that I would be having a much more difficult time with it if I hadnÂ’t taken it in undergrad. In fact, I would say biochem is the most valuable class to have taken in undergrad in preparation for medical school. Having seen the cycles, pathways, and enzymes before helps put it all in perspective when you are doing it for "real". (I say that because undergrad to me was always learning to get a good grade while in med school I feel like I am learning to understand). Anyway, my vote is taking it and pay attention.

18. atrovariousg

atrovariousg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've said it before.... some schools require it, most do not.
    It may help you in school (this depends on how it is taught, my prof is a lab rat, and I'm learning a bunch of crap I'll never see in Med school), an A will surely help your chances of getting in.