biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smithj16

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is is a good idea to take biochem before med school? I come from a Biology and Chemistry background, but do not want to take biochem if it is not necessary. Is it really advanced in med achool where a foundation in it is needed?

Members don't see this ad.

smithj16 said:
Is is a good idea to take biochem before med school? I come from a Biology and Chemistry background, but do not want to take biochem if it is not necessary. Is it really advanced in med achool where a foundation in it is needed?

Biochem is an easier course in med school than undergrad.

The most difficult courses in first year are anatomy and histology. Take either one of those courses instead.

Michelle thinks you should take Biochem....Rife is easy and it is going to be your only class anyway. Besides you are already registered for it! HaHaHa

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess you are not going to have the pleasure of working with Dr. Rife after all....I am sure you will miss the excitement of memorizing glycolsis and the Kreb's Cycle. Tracy will surely miss you as well. It is unfortunate. On the bright side you have not totally distanced yourself from campus because you still have to present at the URC. Thank goodness I got myself out of that this year.....Kudos to you though! I will see you on Sunday when we attempt to fight off the hell that is lab 7. Did you look at it? Barf. It does not appear to be something that I will enjoy. Pease.

Same boat here too. Never took biochem and won't take it until med school. Is this a disadvantage for me? Many med students have told me no. Med students please chime in on this one. Thanks. :thumbup:

jbone said:
Same boat here too. Never took biochem and won't take it until med school. Is this a disadvantage for me? Many med students have told me no. Med students please chime in on this one. Thanks. :thumbup:

Like I said in my above post, it's one of the easiest courses in the first year. I never took biochem and I did fine.

OSUdoc08 said:
Like I said in my above post, it's one of the easiest courses in the first year. I never took biochem and I did fine.
Good to hear, thanks! :horns:

I'm jealous!! Unfortunately, Biochem I is required for my degree, and my advisor basically told me to not only take Biochem I, but Biochem II also!! It is such a boring class :sleep: . If you aren't required to take it for your degree, then I would advise to wait till med school. Save your self the hell.

careful thoug cuz some schools require it for admission. (ie UNECOM)

OSUdoc08 said:
Biochem is an easier course in med school than undergrad.

The most difficult courses in first year are anatomy and histology. Take either one of those courses instead.

I agree with OSU 100%. I took it in undergrad and it was much harder than it is in med school. It is probably the easiest class you will take first year. Take either physio or anatomy.

Thanks for everyones imput...can anyone from DMU agree that I should't need to take it since that is where I am going next year?

I'm taking it in undergrad right now and it isn't bad at all. But then again, I'm into chemistry. I know some schools require it. I think it's nice to have a bit of foundation to build on in med school. I think it really depends on the school, the teacher and what all they emphasize in the class. We were talking today about what we are doing now and what they do in med school. My teacher said he isn't making us memorize (and he's the memorization king), because he wants us to know the principles. We spend most of the time talking about why things attach to what and what happens.

Biochem major here. I'm taking biochem I now in undergrad and I feel like I am still in bio 101/102. Nothing complicated yet and only 3-4 weeks of class. I don't think this class is going to prep me much for biochem in med school, but perhaps your schools have more rigorous biochem classes.

I am sorry but it depends on your school and the individual, don't take any one person's advice as fact. Here at UMDNJ it is notoriously one of the harder first year classes, especially since we have Biochem and Physio first in the fall and Anatomy and Micro in the spring. I feel that I would be having a much more difficult time with it if I hadn’t taken it in undergrad. In fact, I would say biochem is the most valuable class to have taken in undergrad in preparation for medical school. Having seen the cycles, pathways, and enzymes before helps put it all in perspective when you are doing it for "real". (I say that because undergrad to me was always learning to get a good grade while in med school I feel like I am learning to understand). Anyway, my vote is taking it and pay attention.

I've said it before.... some schools require it, most do not.
It may help you in school (this depends on how it is taught, my prof is a lab rat, and I'm learning a bunch of crap I'll never see in Med school), an A will surely help your chances of getting in.