Biochemistry advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yovo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My question is a little convoluted.
I am taking biochem I right now and am doing alright (not the best, but alright...around a B- to B range with the definite possibility of improving at least a little). The issue is that my gpa is hovering right around 3.51 and a B grade (or worse) would push it away from 3.5 and into 3.4 territory. In addition to that, times have become a little hard and money is pretty tight thus requiring that I get a job that pays more than my "weekends only" climbing gym birthday party host gig. I worry that I wont have the time or energy to fully devote to biochem. I have the option of taking a W in the course but I am loathe to do so because I fear that taking a W in a course like this shows a lack of commitment or dedication...especially because this is my last semester before graduating and would be unable to retake. Also, it will mean that I go from having 10 credit hours to 7 credit hours which also looks very bad (the other courses are anatomy (4), orgo II lab (2), and Physics II lab (1)...coincidentally, even though its just 10 credits, this semester is proving to be one of the most time intensive semester i've ever had).

If I take the W, I would supplement this with getting a full time job (or, in the event of my inability to find a job, a metric crap ton of volunteer and shadowing).

Any thoughts? All advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In the grand scheme of things, that B will look better than a W.

I would finish to the best of my ability - work or no work, A or B. At least for DO schools, a 3.51 won't differ much from a 3.49.
I know it's easier said than done, but just finish strong. Work and study like you never have before, keeping in mind that things don't get any easier from here on out.
Focus on all you've had to get through to be where you are now, think of all the people who need healing and will be impacted at the other end of your hard work, and press into that passion you have for medicine.
It's a long road, but this keeps me grounded even in the hardest of days.
Best to you.

If it won't affect your financial aid (i.e. Going from full time student to part time), I'd drop it if you don't feel you can put in the effort to do well. One W won't matter and it's easily explainable to med schools. Plus, biochem is part of the MCAT now so if you do well on that part of the MCAT then admissions committees will know you are still capable of mastering the material.

Just an FYI, however, I don't think a B would be terrible, nor would going from 3.5 to a 3.49 or something. If you don't think you can at least get a B, just drop it though.

To make you feel better about your situation: I got a B in biochem and I have several W's on my transcript, and I got accepted to 6 schools so far this cycle. So you'll be fine

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app