Biochemistry course in summer, non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blubearzangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Biochem is a pretty difficult class...hardest class I had to take during undergrad. I'm not sure if I would recommend taking it over the summer given how summer courses are half the time and you still have to learn all the same material. Your life will suck for a month and a half, but if you are wanting to apply to Duke and Dartmouth maybe you can handle it haha.

2) If you take the course the first half of summer (like starting in May ending early July), then no it shouldn't delay too much. I would think they need to see the grade if its required, but I'm not sure on this.

3) Do you think you have a decent shot at getting into these schools? And do you really prefer these schools over others? Then I would say it's worth it. Obviously you should apply to more that 3 schools, but if you think your stats and app are good enough for an ii, then I'd say go for it.

4) For biochem? Idk, doubt it.

Good luck!

Only do a respectable CUNY school if you're planning on to. By that I basically mean City, Hunter, or Queens.

How doable biochem is in a summer obviously depends a lot on the person.

Online is a no-no, especially for those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! So it will probably be too much to hold a full-time research job, do secondaries, and take Biochem huh?

Personally there's no way I would be able to handle that. I guess you can try it and drop before the deadline if it's too much.

I interviewed at 2 schools that require biochem, and I called and asked what sort of course I should take and if online was okay, and they said it was fine and directed me to programs that they accept (I ended up doing it through UNECOM). Basically, I'd suggest calling and asking.

Do you think they would consider the fact that I work full-time/don't have time to be in class during normal hours?
Not enough to justify online courses. This is common knowledge.

Can you share which schools you applied to that required Biochem?

Also, what made you choose UNECOM? I've seen others take that course as well! Thanks :)
I chose UNECOM since it is a medical biochemistry course that focuses on all human processes, and if you didn'tknow UNECOM is a med school, so I figured it would be the most helpful in preparing myself for what's to come. For me it was Ohio State and OHSU.

Not enough to justify online courses. This is common knowledge.

How do schools even know you took the courses online. All courses i took online say nothing about being online on my transcripts.

How do schools even know you took the courses online. All courses i took online say nothing about being online on my transcripts.
Most will show that it's online, but I've never done it so I guess not all schools do that?

Most will show that it's online, but I've never done it so I guess not all schools do that?

Yeah my state school def did not, even the CC i took courses at before i transferred. I guess i may be lucky.

Hey moop, sorry for bombarding you with questions -

I'm only taking biochem so that I can apply to some schools that require it (I fell in love with their programs). I'm not looking for a GPA booster either since I'll be submitting my primary way before the course ends.

Should I just take biochem in the fall after secondaries are over? I guess I was thinking my biochem course would have more weight if I finished it during the summer before they review my application, but the fall wouldn't be a bad idea either perhaps? Thoughts?

Haha no problem. I think fall might be too late. They might say you need to have biochem completed before you apply.

Your best bet would be to call these few schools and see if it would be ok to take during the fall. If they say yes, then I would do it in the fall since it will be a regular semester and not as fast paced. If they say no I guess you have to take it over summer!

I'm only taking biochem so that I can apply to some schools that require it (I fell in love with their programs). I'm not looking for a GPA booster either since I'll be submitting my primary way before the course ends.

Should I just take biochem in the fall after secondaries are over? I guess I was thinking my biochem course would have more weight if I finished it during the summer before they review my application, but the fall wouldn't be a bad idea either perhaps? Thoughts?
Schools that require it would be for BY MATRICULATION, not admission. However, having a good grade over the summer and sending that as an update would not be a negative during the cycle. Do it during the summer. What's the difference to you?

When you complete AMCAS, you can list it as a planned course for fall. Requirements usually need to be completed by matriculation, not before applying. To verify, you can call the schools in question and inquire about it. It is best not to overload yourself at the time you'll be very busy with secondaries. Biochem is a hard class to take on the side, taking it over the summer will only make it harder for you.

I have a full-time job and I'll also be crazy busy with secondaries! Do you think an update from the summer vs. the fall would be a huge difference from an adcom perspective?
Probably not. Will you not have a job in the fall, though? How about interviews intervening? If the only difference between the summer and the fall are secondaries, then I don't think it matters. In that case, I'd get it over with in the summer.

Well, a fall course wouldn't involve as many class days so I feel like interview scheduling will be ok in that sense. It's just one class, and some people interview with a full semester load.

I suppose you're right though. From an adcom perspective, finishing biochem in the summer or fall won't make a difference in my qualifications. Unless I got like an A+, but I also doubt my summer grades will be filed in a timely fashion for them to even see my grades before review.
It's up to you. Either way would literally make zero difference for admissions. You know your schedule better than anyone else!