Biochemistry in FA: Basic Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prn2oblivion

lolerskates
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard so many bad things about the FA: Basic Sciences book. It's a first edition and has many errors in it; however, the makers of the book have made an errata page which I think is sufficient.

So I was wondering what people think about the biochemistry section in the book. I've heard that Step I focuses more on the clinical aspect of biochemistry and less on specific steps of pathways. It seems to me that this book focuses on the clinical aspect of biochemistry much better than the Rapid Review and Kaplan Notes resources I have available. It also focuses on more high yeild information about pathways.

Interested to know what you guys think. If this is a tad misguided, feel free to set things straight.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you just post up on another thread and say that FA was all you needed for biochem when someone else recommended RR Biochem?

Dude, what's your deal?

Didn't you just post up on another thread and say that FA was all you needed for biochem when someone else recommended RR Biochem?

Dude, what's your deal?

First Aid makes more than one book for Step I. The First Aid book that most people buy has an excellent summary of high yeild biochemistry. The other book, which I ended up buying, is called "First Aid: Basic Sciences." It's only been out for a year and I want to know what other people think about its biochem section. I've been going back and forth between Kaplan and FABS and I'm not sure which is better. They both have their benefits and drawbacks ... dude.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First Aid makes more than one book for Step I. The First Aid book that most people buy has an excellent summary of high yeild biochemistry. The other book, which I ended up buying, is called "First Aid: Basic Sciences." It's only been out for a year and I want to know what other people think about its biochem section. I've been going back and forth between Kaplan and FABS and I'm not sure which is better. They both have their benefits and drawbacks ... dude.

You misunderstand. When you say FA, that means the one-and-only FA. The other books are new and you have to specify them.

Once again, you do realize that you are recommending a massive FA basic sciences book over a 180 page RR, right?

You misunderstand. When you say FA, that means the one-and-only FA. The other books are new and you have to specify them.

Once again, you do realize that you are recommending a massive FA basic sciences book over a 180 page RR, right?

It's in the title and in every single post about it I've made.

But the biochem section is only 157 pages of that massive book.

It's in the title and in every single post about it I've made.

But the biochem section is only 157 pages of that massive book.

Cool... just FYI... FA=the skeleton book...at least until the big books become more common.

I found RR very helpful and light as it didn't focus on the pathways as much as the pharm, path and physio of the important steps. I used the Taus method, so by the time I read through it 2 times (for understanding, not memorizing) all pertinent info was annotated to the skeleton FA. It saved a lot of time and focused on concepts I saw heavily tested on my step1 exam.

Cool... just FYI... FA=the skeleton book...at least until the big books become more common.

I found RR very helpful and light as it didn't focus on the pathways as much as the pharm, path and physio of the important steps. I used the Taus method, so by the time I read through it 2 times (for understanding, not memorizing) all pertinent info was annotated to the skeleton FA. It saved a lot of time and focused on concepts I saw heavily tested on my step1 exam.

Excellent post! Thanks for the advice!