Biochemistry requirement DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titleist975j

Rusty Shackleford
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So only 3 schools require biochemistry?

Des Moines University

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

University of New England

Members don't see this ad.

Some will consider Biochemistry instead of Organic II.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to see DMU and KCUMB require biochem, as that's one course I haven't taken. Do you think Orgo 2 will sub in for biochem at all, or are they pretty strict about this requirement? Would it be a complete waste of money to even apply to these two schools without having taken a biochem course?

I'm sorry to see DMU and KCUMB require biochem, as that's one course I haven't taken. Do you think Orgo 2 will sub in for biochem at all, or are they pretty strict about this requirement? Would it be a complete waste of money to even apply to these two schools without having taken a biochem course?

I don't know if DMU will take you or not, but personally I wouldn't apply if you haven't taken biochem. It is a fast course and it is the first one you take. You really don't want to start the year sinking in your first class.

If its a requirement, then you need it. Period. Why not take biochem? You'll end up taking it first year anyway, might as well get your feet a little wet.

EDIT: Badgers beat me to it.

Yup, I definitely see your guys' points, unfortunately for me, I graduated and am starting the application cycle this year. My pre-med advisor told me not to bother taking biochem, so here I am, in this crappy situation :mad:

I just got off the phone with DMU and they do not allow Orgo2 to sub for biochem.

Yup, I definitely see your guys' points, unfortunately for me, I graduated and am starting the application cycle this year. My pre-med advisor told me not to bother taking biochem, so here I am, in this crappy situation :mad:

I just got off the phone with DMU and they do not allow Orgo2 to sub for biochem.

That sounds like the worst pre-med adviser considering many medical schools (MD & DO) require it.

I believe I saw when I was applying that there is an online biochem course you can take. It may have been through UNECOM. You should search around for it because I know people have been in your situation in the past. As long as you take it before matriculation you should be fine.

Many schools - both MD and DO - don't list biochem as a prereq, but a good understanding of biochem is essential.

This sucks.. I didn't know anyone required biocem.

Can't you just put it down as planned/in progress on AACOMAS and take it sometime before matriculation? I suppose you would have to take it then even if you matriculated to a school that never required it.

Can't you just put it down as planned/in progress on AACOMAS and take it sometime before matriculation? I suppose you would have to take it then even if you matriculated to a school that never required it.

thats what i plan on doing for a class. Some schools accept my anatomy for the bio requirement some dont so im putting bio 2 as planned.

i feel like the ones that dont require it wont make you take it if you get accepted.

thats what i plan on doing for a class. Some schools accept my anatomy for the bio requirement some dont so im putting bio 2 as planned.

i feel like the ones that dont require it wont make you take it if you get accepted.

I wasn't aware that any school doesn't require bio 2. What school is this?

EDIT: Unless the school says you don't have to take it, I would not simply assume that you're in the clear by stating that it is "planned" and then end up never taking it. Sometimes they will give you a conditional acceptance with the understanding that you will have taken/passed all pre-reqs prior to matriculating. I am sorry if I read your post wrong, it just sounds like you are saying that it will be OK to not take bio 2 before matriculating. That just doesn't make complete sense to me because I've never heard of a school not requiring one of the standard pre-reqs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware that any school doesn't require bio 2. What school is this?

EDIT: Unless the school says you don't have to take it, I would not simply assume that you're in the clear by stating that it is "planned" and then end up never taking it. Sometimes they will give you a conditional acceptance with the understanding that you will have taken/passed all pre-reqs prior to matriculating. I am sorry if I read your post wrong, it just sounds like you are saying that it will be OK to not take bio 2 before matriculating. That just doesn't make complete sense to me because I've never heard of a school not requiring one of the standard pre-reqs.

Why do you say that Bio 2 is required? From what I've researched, DO schools will ask for X amount of credits in biology (usually 8 or 12), but it doesn't say WHICH biology classes. I don't have "bio 2" (It was not part of my school's pre-med curriculum), however, I have more than enough bio classes for the application (A&P, molecular bio, etc...) Where did you get this info that bio 2 is REQUIRED? You are scaring me!!!

Why do you say that Bio 2 is required? From what I've researched, DO schools will ask for X amount of credits in biology (usually 8 or 12), but it doesn't say WHICH biology classes. I don't have "bio 2" (It was not part of my school's pre-med curriculum), however, I have more than enough bio classes for the application (A&P, molecular bio, etc...) Where did you get this info that bio 2 is REQUIRED? You are scaring me!!!

I said that because bio 2 is typically part of the standard pre-med curriculum: gen chem 1, gen chem 2, bio 1, bio 2, orgo 1, orgo 2, physics 1, physics 2 (plus all the labs for each). Catch my drift? Does your school simply not have bio 2 offered? It being offered and you electing not to take it are two different things. As another poster stated, one school allowed them to swap his A&P for a bio course. If that's the case with that school, then so be it. A&P is (oddly) not required at any medical school that I am aware of, so I didn't take it. I took an osteology and evolutionary anatomy course instead.

I don't mean to frighten, but I would encourage you to seek the ruling of the individual school you are applying to.

Take it online at MSU, that's what I am doing. Register as a life long student and take BMB 401.

Link: http://www.bmb.msu.edu/courses/401/coursedesc.html

Apply to MSUCOM while you are at it.

Good Luck!

At MSUCOM they just accept you and ask you how you plan to complete your "deficiencies" for this student it would be BIOCHEM. Have to have it completed by the beginning of the semester (June or some nonsense).

Just FYI if not already known.

From my experience, Upper level Bio courses can substitute for general Bio and if you tested out of general bio through AP credits.

UNECOM also has an online biochem. course

I see your drift, of course, but I was guiding myself by the application service (AACOMAS)...you know...it says Biology....8 credits, Inorganic Chemistry....8 credits, etc... and it is listed pretty much the same way at most schools websites. This is unlike many MD schools I've seen that on their website list more specific courses, like: General Biology 1 & 2, for example. Most of my pre-med was done abroad, however. My school offered bio 2 (I assume by bio 2 you mean general biology 2), but it was not required of pre-med/medical students (it was combined pre-med/medicine, but I only completed the pre-med so that I could apply to a DO school). I think only biology majors took that general biology 2. We took molecular biology instead and then I later took A&P on my own in the US. I also don't have general physics 2. We take biophysics after general physics, and it was offered through the physics department. Josef Silny & Associates evaluated my transcript and it says I have the equivalent of a US pre-med, with X amount of credits in bio, X in general chemistry, etc... which by the numbers is enough to apply so I am going for it this cycle. I just hope that the schools don't turn around and say, "Yes, even though our website says 8 credits biology, we actually meant that it needs to be these specific biology classes" or something along those lines, because I might just have a heart attack at that time!!! I guess my stance will be to defend my pre-med education and kindly remind them (if it comes to that), that the requirements listed on their website don't indicate specific classes, rather credits in the discipline (with required labs). Josef Silny should have my back too....I hope.
*sigh* I'm still a little scared so....I'm going to take a sleeping pill now....

I see your drift, of course, but I was guiding myself by the application service (AACOMAS)...you know...it says Biology....8 credits, Inorganic Chemistry....8 credits, etc... and it is listed pretty much the same way at most schools websites. This is unlike many MD schools I've seen that on their website list more specific courses, like: General Biology 1 & 2, for example. Most of my pre-med was done abroad, however. My school offered bio 2 (I assume by bio 2 you mean general biology 2), but it was not required of pre-med/medical students (it was combined pre-med/medicine, but I only completed the pre-med so that I could apply to a DO school). I think only biology majors took that general biology 2. We took molecular biology instead and then I later took A&P on my own in the US. I also don't have general physics 2. We take biophysics after general physics, and it was offered through the physics department. Josef Silny & Associates evaluated my transcript and it says I have the equivalent of a US pre-med, with X amount of credits in bio, X in general chemistry, etc... which by the numbers is enough to apply so I am going for it this cycle. I just hope that the schools don't turn around and say, "Yes, even though our website says 8 credits biology, we actually meant that it needs to be these specific biology classes" or something along those lines, because I might just have a heart attack at that time!!! I guess my stance will be to defend my pre-med education and kindly remind them (if it comes to that), that the requirements listed on their website don't indicate specific classes, rather credits in the discipline (with required labs). Josef Silny should have my back too....I hope.
*sigh* I'm still a little scared so....I'm going to take a sleeping pill now....

Again, that wasn't my intention. I would still call a few schools just to get a general consensus. Better safe than sorry. Bonne nuit.

You'd be better off contacting the individual schools...

Also Oakland university in Michigan offers online biochem and genetics, as well as advanced phys

UNECOM also has an online biochem. course

Does anyone have any more information about this? I'm in a predicament where I plan to apply this June to both MD and DO schools, and would love to go to the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, but they require biochemistry. I have not taken biochem, and there is not enough time between now and then to fit it in. Thanks!

if you look at the AAMC/HHMI competencies on the internet you need to realize most medical schools including osteopathic schools will be moveing to this model. this will mean premed students will not longer get biochem refresher courses in med school but will HAVE to have it before matriculating. medical school curricula are so jam packed now...they cannot teach everything that used to be part of the basic science in year one..but they need to hit the ground running and begin clinical sciences in year 1....
students who have no biochem or basic anatomy and physiol will suffer

I'm in the same predicament as everyone else...no biochem yet but I really want to apply to schools that require it. Do med schools accept online classes? I heard somewhere that they don't. I was planning on taking it during the summer prior to matriculation, but if I could do it online I would just do that.

You can apply to schools that require it so long as you will complete it before matriculating. Take it at a cc or something if necessary.

I'm in the same predicament as everyone else...no biochem yet but I really want to apply to schools that require it. Do med schools accept online classes? I heard somewhere that they don't. I was planning on taking it during the summer prior to matriculation, but if I could do it online I would just do that.

You have to call the individual schools. Some say flat out that they do not accept online courses for the pre-req classes. I remember talking to a couple saying that as long as it is an accredited school then it is ok. NOVA was one that said that to me.

I suggest any premed should take it. You are going to take it in med school in way more depth. I personally found it fascinating as wel.

Last edited:
It's recommended at a lot of schools. You should take it either way because it's a great class. If you find medicine and the human body interesting (which I sure hope you do since you're going into medicine) you'll enjoy biochem.

It's recommended at a lot of schools. You should take it either because it's a great class. If you find medicine and the human body interesting (which I sure hope you do since you're going into medicine) you'll enjoy biochem.

Probably a stretch to say all that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I'm guessing that most med students like medicine and how the body works. I don't think most med students like biochem

Biochem is awesome dude take it.. def helps with MCAT studying

Let's see... take biochem, work your butt off for a class that is only required by ~10% of DO schools while risking getting a poor grade in a typically difficult course... or don't.
The level of biochem on the MCAT should have been covered in your intro bio courses if they were taught well.

Let's see... take biochem, work your butt off for a class that is only required by ~10% of DO schools while risking getting a poor grade in a typically difficult course... or don't.
The level of biochem on the MCAT should have been covered in your intro bio courses if they were taught well.

not to mention the (low) level of biochem on boards. Better to spend time on micro or anatomy or histology or genetics...

not to mention the (low) level of biochem on boards. Better to spend time on micro or anatomy or histology or genetics...

Or bourbon tasting.

Im taking biochem right now, and its at a school thats easy.

No Orgo 2 will not sub for biochem, they're really not very similar in content. I mean yeah biochem reactions use Orgo chemistry but biochem was more about metabolic pathways and such. If a school has a "requirement" and you don't meet it, don't waste your money, or just take a biochem class.

Sincerely,

Abraham Lincoln
Vampire Hunter

Biochem is a de facto requirement at most medical schools. Why? So that you can hit the ground running when you start one of the first subjects and so that you can prove that you can do well there so you can focus on not failing anatomy class.

There are many people applying to medical schools these days, far more than the number of seats. If you lie and they find out when they get your final transcripts, they will ask you to leave and one of those other applicants that didn't make it off their waitlist will get accepted super late, get caught up ASAP and be glad to have your spot while you have the dubious honor of applying in another cycle having been kicked out of medical school in your first week.

Take biochem in a classroom now, don't skimp on the absolute pre-reqs, like Orgo 1, 2 and lab. Pick a school you have no intention of going to, call them and ask if you have to take Biochem, if you have to take Calculus and, should you have to take Biochem, if you can substitute it for Orgo 2 and start a stopwatch. Chances are that your conversation will be over within the next 2 minutes.

I'm guessing that most med students like medicine and how the body works. I don't think most med students like biochem

FYI: I had a friend who did NOT take biochem. She applied to Michigan State DO school and got accepted. Unless she is blowing smoke up my ass, maybe some schools will be OK with not taking it...Because I was considering that school until I saw biochem as a requirement...

FYI: I had a friend who did NOT take biochem. She applied to Michigan State DO school and got accepted. Unless she is blowing smoke up my ass, maybe some schools will be OK with not taking it...Because I was considering that school until I saw biochem as a requirement...

Same here, but it must be completed by the time you matriculate. This is the same with KCUMB.

Hey do you guys think DO schools would give any special attention to students who have taken Anatomy & Physiology I & II supposing they get B's in both??

Absolutely no. And B's won't exactly stand out, but proficiency in any science class is a good thing.