Biochemistry textbook recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnypremed7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for a biochemistry textbook. I am conducting research this summer in a biochemistry lab. The professor I'm working for suggested that I pick up a biochemistry textbook to self-study some of the concepts. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm looking to just buy a cheap copy off of Amazon. Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for suggestions for a biochemistry textbook. I am conducting research this summer in a biochemistry lab. The professor I'm working for suggested that I pick up a biochemistry textbook to self-study some of the concepts. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm looking to just buy a cheap copy off of Amazon. Thank you in advance for your help!

Dude just picking up and reading a biochem book is absurd. Read online on some of the concepts lol. I got an A in biochem and am published in a great journal, but nobody would ever think of telling me to get a text lol. If you must lehninger is ok, but the professor is being a dumbo. Google all the way

Reactions: 1 user
No textbook imo but for extra reading,
Lehiningers is my fave

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Amazon product

This is one of the best.
I am against trying to self-read it though it's going to be far too long. Maybe you could get away with a biochem MCAT review but I don't see this working out.

AK Lectures (YouTube and website) is absolutely wonderful. Much more tolerable than getting dry eye from reading Lehninger.

FWIW, I got an A in biochem.

Reactions: 1 users
Lehninger is ok, Biochemistry, a short course by Tymoczko and Berg is a pretty easy read (with good illustrations as well). Dr. Ahern's book (biochemistry free and easy) is quirky but a good intro too (plus it's free). His Oregon State biochemistry courses are all on YouTube as well (not labs, obviously) for that matter. Depending on what you want to get out of this they are worth a look, although the AK lectures are more focused and highly organized...they are what I'd go with if you are on a schedule

Zubay

Was recommended to me many years ago by a radiologist. Breaks biochemistry down in a way that is accessible to most anyone.

Dude just picking up and reading a biochem book is absurd. Read online on some of the concepts lol. I got an A in biochem and am published in a great journal, but nobody would ever think of telling me to get a text lol. If you must lehninger is ok, but the professor is being a dumbo. Google all the way

I don't think he is being a dumbo. It is a completely valid suggestion. He is a bit old-fashioned and believes in a hard copy book. I have not taken biochemistry yet, so I think he is just trying to be helpful. I approached him regarding suggestions on how I could improve my work. I'll probably use videos/websites, but I just wanted to get suggestions in case I go that route. :)

I don't think he is being a dumbo. It is a completely valid suggestion. He is a bit old-fashioned and believes in a hard copy book. I have not taken biochemistry yet, so I think he is just trying to be helpful. I approached him regarding suggestions on how I could improve my work. I'll probably use videos/websites, but I just wanted to get suggestions in case I go that route. :)

That's very old fashioned and inefficient. Lots of professors try to be helpful, but are not able to jump into a students shoes well anymore. No textbook is going to improve your work. When I started working at NIH, we were doing cyclic voltammetry. I tried reading up on it, but it was just too complicated. The same thing goes for almost any lab. The work is very esoteric, specific, and advanced, and reading up on anything in a general textbook won't help. Talk to people in your lab and ask questions if you want to learn more, that's really the best way.

That's very old fashioned and inefficient. Lots of professors try to be helpful, but are not able to jump into a students shoes well anymore. No textbook is going to improve your work. When I started working at NIH, we were doing cyclic voltammetry. I tried reading up on it, but it was just too complicated. The same thing goes for almost any lab. The work is very esoteric, specific, and advanced, and reading up on anything in a general textbook won't help. Talk to people in your lab and ask questions if you want to learn more, that's really the best way.

I guess I could have phrased that in a better way. The work I'm doing "physically" is fine. I don't need improvement. I just asked him for suggestions on how to understand the research in a better way. I'm one student (undergrad) in a lab full of PhD students. Of course, I ask them for help when I can, but they have their own projects and publications that need to be completed as well. I'm curious more about the actual concepts and not the lab work. I get where you are coming from. I won't really truly understand biochemistry until I take the class and lab, but whatever I can do myself to start improving is worth the extra time to me.