Biochemistry = upper division biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senecan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there schools that do not count biochemistry as "upper division biology?" I have AP Credit for AP bio, so I was wondering whether I could use biochemistry to fulfill my year of upper division biology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are there schools that do not count biochemistry as "upper division biology?" I have AP Credit for AP bio, so I was wondering whether I could use it to fulfill my year of upper division biology.

AP bio can't count for upper division bio..

maybe i misunderstood you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, much more clear! In that case, I have no clue.

Ah, much more clear! In that case, I have no clue.

:laugh:

OP, you should contact your school. Most schools have different requirements. You couldn't count it at mine, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to at your institution. Go meet with an advisor.

I would think that any course that is listed as Biolxxx (xxx=300 and higher) in your schools course catalog would be considered as an upper level biology.

Now that being said, Biochem was listed as Biol5xx and Chem463 at my school and if you register for the Biol5xx version than that should be considered as an upper level biology, so it depends on how its classified at your school.

In my school biochemistry classes are categorized as chemistry class, and they start with the code CH. I guess it's true for many other schools...

The school where I'm gonna take Biochem does not even have any Bio classes for prereqs, only Orgo... In that case I don't think it counts for Biology.

So it depends on how MY school classifies it, and not specific med school policy? That seems rather strange. It would be odd for X med school to count biochemistry for student A whose school puts it under upper division bio but not for student B whose school puts it under upper division chem.

In my school biochemistry classes are categorized as chemistry class, and they start with the code CH. I guess it's true for many other schools...

Well than that being the case, if the course is listed as a chem course then it would be considered an upper level chemistry course, not an upper level bio. So in a nutshell just consider it by whatever department its listed under.

So it depends on how MY school classifies it, and not specific med school policy? That seems rather strange. It would be odd for X med school to count biochemistry for student A whose school puts it under upper division bio but not for student B whose school puts it under upper division chem.

That doesn't sound strange to me, an upper level bio is considered as a 300 and above level course taught within the biology department. Not all schools teach the same upper level bio courses so there is no specific list that limits upper level biology courses to a preset defined course list. If you take an upper level bio at your school that isn't taught anywhere else that doesn't make it any less of a bio course. Any course that is taught within the biology department at the 300 level or above is considered an upper level biology, regardless of that course also being taught within the chem department or not. In many cases alot of the biology courses that were taught at my school were also taught by the same name in the nursing school, however those courses didn't count as bio courses simply because they weren't taught in the bio department.

In my case both schools that I attended offered biochem in both departments and although the same book was used, the bio course focused more on the biology and was instructed by biology professors whereas the chem version was thought within the chem department and focused more on the reactions and chemistry, so, just like the bio courses taught at the nursing school, I wouldn't assume that these courses are 1 in the same either.

If your school doesn't offer it within the biology dept. than for all practical purposes consider it as an upper level chem course. However, since biochem is also bio intense if your trying to prove to med schools that you can handle upper level bio courses, well than regardless of this technically being considered bio or not, it still proves you can handle bio-intense type courses none-the-less.

Last edited:
i used biochem for my upper division bio requirement for med school- it was listed as bio XXX though.

I think it depends on the size of the school. The smaller the departments the more likely biochem is in the bio department, but at larger schools it will be apart of a separate, biochemistry department. Either way, I would highly recommend taking Genetics before Biochem, but would actually suggest taking both.

Thanks everyone! You guys beat my school's academic advisers anyday lol

:laugh:

OP, you should contact your school. Most schools have different requirements. You couldn't count it at mine, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to at your institution. Go meet with an advisor.

No, the undergrad does not matter. The med schools are the ones that decide whether or not the courses count as prereqs.

I would take biology over again. If anything, applying yourself is going to help "pad" your GPA as long as you stay on top of work. Also, not all schools accept AP credit. The variety is too great for a list to be formed off the top of my head.

No, the undergrad does not matter. The med schools are the ones that decide whether or not the courses count as prereqs.

Actually, yes, the UG does matter. If it is not listed under BIO, and only CHE, then it must be listed as chem. It is up to the course dept. at your UG to decide.

For instance, I could not use my biochem as a Bio course even though others might have used it, because my university states biochem is a chem class NOT a bio class.

i think most med schools require u to take core bio's in college, AP credits dont work.

Also, at like more than half the schools bio chem is listed under a chem class... so i doubt it will be counted as ur 2 bio classes u need to take for pre-med req

I think it depends on the size of the school. The smaller the departments the more likely biochem is in the bio department, but at larger schools it will be apart of a separate, biochemistry department. Either way, I would highly recommend taking Genetics before Biochem, but would actually suggest taking both.
For me, I don't see strong connection between genetics and biochem.

For me, I don't see strong connection between genetics and biochem.

Exactly, which is why it would be beneficial to take both of them. Both genetics and biochem you learn from Intro to bio isn't enough to be able to make it through those nasty passages on the MCAT.