RunOn

15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
To all current pharmacy students, would you recommend taking undergraduate Biochem this summer before entering Pharmacy school in the fall? Any advice is appreciated. thanks.

pharmel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
I've been wondering the same thing. I decided to set June aside for studying bio chem on my own. Is it worth $600 for the class plus $1200 for day care?

About the Ads

gdk420

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
I recommend as much biochemistry as u can handle, u will see enzymes and competitive inhibition throughout ur pharmacy courses. Many drugs work on enzymes in some form of competitive inhibition.

BiOGoly

PharmD, BCGP
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2003
Portland Oregon
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Good question. I have one more term left and I'm debating whether or not to take the final term of general physics or a 300 level course in biochem. I'd really much rather take the biochem, trouble is one of the schools i'm thinking of applying to requires 3 terms of physics:mad:. I bet relativity and optics come in real handy in Pharm school...

ooscubaoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
i'm taking biochemistry right now and it's by far the hardest bio class i've taken. I just can't seem to memorize all these pathways, cycles, etc.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Take biochem if you can. You'll have to know all those pathways and enzymes in pharm school and if you can get it out of the way now, you won't have to learn them when you are trying to learn a million other things. Also, take genetics with a lab if you get a chance. I found it extremely helpful for a number of my pharmacy classes.

I don't really think that if I had taken Biochem in undergrad that I would have been better off in the pharm school biochem class. If you can't fit it into your schedule or if you'd rather take a different class, I would NOT stress about it.

pharmel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
If you can't fit it into your schedule or if you'd rather take a different class, I would NOT stress about it.

Just the info I wanted to hear! Thanks AmandaRxs! Yep, playing sounds like just the ticket this summer...:p

Just for the record, is pharmacy biochem different than undergrad biology major biochem?:confused:

I think it's probably supposed to be harder, a little more in depth, and maybe more specific to the "pharmacy" aspect.
The biochem course at Midwestern-glendale was really interesting and you'll love Dr. Parmley. She's a great teacher and works her butt off trying to make the stuff easier to understand. She holds test review sessions and makes great test review handouts because she knows the material goes beyond some people's brains. :p

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.