sars110

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to approximately 9 schools and out of those 9 only 1 school requires biochemistry (Touro University in NYC). Do you guys think it's worth it for me to take it this fall? If I do take it it'll conflict with a class I need to finish up my major and could risk me not graduating on time, but if you guys do recommend I take it, i'd figure it out and make it work.

Thanks!

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
To me, it'd be a no-brainer. Unless you absolutely MUST get a chance at Touro-NY, I'd simply not take Biochemistry and not apply to Touro. You'll lighten the dollar load and lighten your school load at the same time.

DoctorRx1986

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Florida
Status
Pharmacy Student
Unless you've got your sights set on Touro, I wouldn't bother and risk not graduating on time. Depending on where else you're applying, you have a good chance of getting into at least a few of those 8 other schools, so why not graduate with your degree and forget about taking biochemistry?

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to approximately 9 schools and out of those 9 only 1 school requires biochemistry (Touro University in NYC). Do you guys think it's worth it for me to take it this fall? If I do take it it'll conflict with a class I need to finish up my major and could risk me not graduating on time, but if you guys do recommend I take it, i'd figure it out and make it work.

Thanks!
Check their policy on pre-reqs. If they let you complete them the summer before school starts, apply and list it as "planned" for the summer semester. Then only take the class if you get in and decide to go there.

More schools are requiring this course, however, as a way to add a third pre-professional year and weed out their applicant pools a little. If you weren't applying to so many schools this time, I would say take it because 1) it can't hurt and 2) if you don't get in this year, more of your schools might want it next year.

onehot

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
You could finish Biochem after you get accepted, not a problem at all. I don't think they take summer pre-reqs after you've already been accepted.

email admissions if you have any questions.