Bioengineering UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey Guys, sorry this is my first post here. Been so busy with applications and just wanted some help!

So I am a bioengineering major at UCSD (top 2-4 in nation), and graduated with a 3.7 GPA, (Had a 3.9 Major Upper division gap and 3.8 Upper div gpa). I also received a 30 on the mcats ( PS 12 BS 11 7 in verbal , this was 6 - 9 pts lower than my average!), so I might retake it (anyones take on this). I don't have spectacular EC's. I have done 4 years of research in four different labs, mostly bioengineering related and one pathology lab (published). I have done some volunteering at hospitals, TA'd (Department TA of the quarter), done some coaching on the side, but nothing spectacular. I am in the process of making a list of schools and I want to only apply MD, not DO. I was curious what are some schools that you guys would recommend. I also have super strong, well rounded rec letters, 2 MD, 2 Bioe with one being the head, 2 social sciences (sociology and phil) I have a list:

I have about 50-75 hours of shadowing experiences, and not primary author for publication

arizona Tuscon arizona phoenix UCLA UCR UCSD UCI USC UCD STANFORD YALE GEORGETOWN GW CHICAGO P, CHICAGO FRANK, BOSTON, TUFTS, HOpkins (hopeful just cuz of bioe), duke, WF, Dartmouth, colubia, cornell, mount sinai, nyu, rochester, einstein, stony, both SUNY, albany, NY medical, Ohio state, case western, oregon, temple, drexel, penn state, baylor, va tech

Just curious what my chances are, and also if I should consider retaking my mcats if my average test scores were in the 37-39 range, even though I do not have much time to study for the test because of apps and maybe a job at Apple!

I really appreciate everything, you guys are awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a MCAT score that is barely competitive, you can forget about the top schools. MSAR Online is your friend.

Goro suggests your state schools (unless you live in CA)and GEORGETOWN GW , TUFTS,WF, albany, NY medical, temple, drexel, penn state, Rosy F, MCW, SLU, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Rush, VCU, EVMS, jefferson, Tulane,

Good time mgt and good choice making skills are sought after in medical students. What would you think of someone who takes a career-determining, high stales exam without adequate time to prepare for it???

Just curious what my chances are, and also if I should consider retaking my mcats if my average test scores were in the 37-39 range, even though I do not have much time to study for the test because of apps and maybe a job at Apple!

If you want to get into one of these programs:
UCLA
Stanford
Chicago
Yale
Hopkins
Duke
Columbia
Dartmouth
NYU
Rochester
Ohio State
Case Western
Baylor
Va Tech
Mt. Sinai

You're looking at a retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response. Honestly I won't have time because my mother has a reoccurring cancer tumor : / and my grandfather has been ill as of late and I will be spending a lot of time taking care of my family as I prep for a job at Apple that is very closely related to medicine (health device). I am a CA resident. I really appreciate your guys responses! So I might take out most of the schools that you listed zzxxzz if I do not retake the exam

Also is my score uncompetitive because of the really low verbal? Or will some schools just overlook it a bit more because of the higher scores in PS, BS?

But would I have any sort of chances at UCSD, UCD, UCR, UCI, USC ?

Thanks

Thank you for the response. Honestly I won't have time because my mother has a reoccurring cancer tumor : / and my grandfather has been ill as of late and I will be spending a lot of time taking care of my family as I prep for a job at Apple that is very closely related to medicine (health device). I am a CA resident. I really appreciate your guys responses! So I might take out most of the schools that you listed zzxxzz if I do not retake the exam

Also is my score uncompetitive because of the really low verbal? Or will some schools just overlook it a bit more because of the higher scores in PS, BS?

But would I have any sort of chances at UCSD, UCD, UCR, UCI, USC ?

Thanks
Unless you have a connection/history to the inland empire, UCR will be a hard sell. You have a small chance at the other 4 schools, but with an average GPA, below average MCAT (especially for CA schools), and nothing spectacular in the EC department, I wouldn't get any hopes up.

Thanks!. I am from southern california, live about 45 minutes way from inland empire so hopefully that somehow is a positive!

If you are really averaging 36+ on the MCAT, you should retake it. If you don't the top tiers on your list are out of reach. Be sure to adequately prepare though because you want to substantially increase the score the 2nd time.

So I might take out most of the schools that you listed zzxxzz if I do not retake the exam

Buy the MSAR and do your research. A lot of those schools simply will not consider a 30. Off the top of my head, for example, 90%+ of the students Case accepts have a 33+, and 50% have a 36+.

The issue is that a 30 is unimpressive; the average for white applicants is a 29, and an imbalanced score like yours (12/7/11) is generally considered worse than a more balanced one (10/9/11). VR is considered to be more important than PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, appreciate your guys response. Ill get back on that mcat grind. I will look into restructuring my list too!