MD Community College to UCSD to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glycerol123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do very well in high school so I was forced to attend a CC. At the CC I did very well, 3.7 GPA. I took my pre-med courses there. Then I transferred to UCSD and currently majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I currently have a 3.79 GPA and got a 509 on the MCAT. Will I be accepted into medical school?
EC: Shadowing my primary care physician, Volunteering at Kaiser, Intership at a pharmeceutical company(Amgen Biotechnology)

Members don't see this ad.

Your high school performance and attending a CC first won't hurt your application. Your MCAT is on the low side for top 20's but there are def lots of other med schools that you can get into. Your ECs seem good, what were your total hours for each? What is your state of residence and MCAT breakdown (balanced vs unbalanced?)?

You are in a decent spot for applying, but getting accepted is all on you when you write your PS, activities, and secondaries and when you interview. Just apply pretty early (primary by June/July) since they are on rolling admissions.

Do you have a preliminary school list yet, I think others can help you better if they have a list to start from.

Kansas University School of Medicine
UCLA School of Medicine
UCR School of Medicine
UCSF School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Will I get into any of those listed schools so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chance in CA will be UCSD. They matriculate a higher percentage of their own undergrads than any other UC.
There are roughly 25 seats for non-UCR applicants and they have a strong preference for IE natives.
Your MCAT is way off for Wash U. Their 10th% MCAT is the equivalent of a 513+.
I can't get anything from your post that leads me to believe you are what UCSF is looking for.
Are you from KS?

When you get the MSAR you will find better fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Californian. Looking at my scores, will UCSD likely accept me?

I'm a Californian. Looking at my scores, will UCSD likely accept me?
Not exactly. Your posted MCAT is right at the 10th percentile for UCSD
UCSD matriculated 20% of her incoming class from her undergrad. That is 25 students.
UCSD had 571 applicants last year...

Like most CA applicants, your highest likelihood of success is OOS.

From your post history, you are a freshman at UCSB and variably have a 509, 510 or no MCAT yet.
Please post actual (or at least consistent) data so that we don't feel that we have been tricked when responding to your queries.

Reactions: 1 users
Which OOS will likely accept me based on my scores and GPA?

Which OOS will likely accept me based on my scores and GPA?
Buy the MSAR. Look for schools that matriculate at least 20% OOS and have a median MCAT around your actual MCAT when you eventually take it.
They tend to be private schools.