Biology 1 and 2 requirement

Started by JPSKYS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JPSKYS

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do some schools require general biology and some do not? Does this necessarily mean those programs which don't require the general biology are not as good as those who do? For someone who is older and not just finishing up a first degree it's appealing to apply for those programs which don't require the year of general bio, but not a good move if those programs are not worth being in. Thoughts?
 
I am only applying to schools that do not requre the 2nd biology because I don't have time to take it before applications. I haven't found anything in my research to show that they are inferior in any way. Some schools require a second psychology class, and others don't. Some require english composition and/or speech, and others don't. There are a group of core classes that most schools require (anatomy,chem,phys), and then there seems to be some variability with the biology and social science courses among the schools
 
I think it's kinda silly that schools are more likely to require a larger amount of chemistry and physics than biology...PT is at it's core a biologically-based discipline, not a physical science-based one.
 
@JPSKYS:

Prerequisites are set by the program faculty based on a desire to obtain the most relevant evidence of preparation for a candidate to be successful in PT school. These decisions are specific to the program and the faculty, and can change over time as a program and faculty's perspective on the matter changes.

One can ascribe no independent meaning from the requirement of general biology I and II, or just biology I. It likely has no relationship to program quality.

What I would suggest you do is consider the first-time pass rates on the board exam. IU's current first-time rate is 94%, which exceeds the national average of 88%. This is one of, if not the, most critical data point on programs.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]