Biology 3 & Genetics same semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Biology

The Nerdiest Super Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my first post, so sorry if it is a "repost". So I am a sophomore at ETSU and we are 1 of a handful of colleges that require Bio 3 and genetics as pre reqs. So with the way my classes are going to turn out I need to take bio 3 and chem 2 in the same semester, but they are taught at the same time. So that being said I am taking gen chem 2, physics, microbiology, precal 2, and a speech.. If I do that it will put me taking genetics and bio 3 in the same semester, which is rarely permitted at my Univ. due to the fact that most people make a D average on biology (I've gotten A's in both which is really abnormal, apparently I am a wiz)and I finish bio 2 in the spring. essentially I am worried about the course load cause it will essentially be Bio3, Genetics, physics 2, calculus 1, Immunology. which will put me delaying the MCAT due to organic 1&2.... I need some advice on what to do, if it helps my major is Biology and I am getting a minor in Microbiology. any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Essentially its Crunch times either way, but I want to soften it as much as possible! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

This gave me a headache.

You know what kind of student you are. If you can handle it, go for it. If not, don't.

And for god's sake man, take a theater class.

that's the problem!!!I didn't take school seriously the first year, so now I have no gen ed stuff besides a speech class left! so it essentially pre reqs, upper level bio and minor stuff left! if I don't do that ill be put behind with graduation! and how did it give you a head ache?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well seeing as you are Dr. Biology it should be a breeze

Reactions: 4 users
WTF is Biology 3? A &P?

Reactions: 1 users
WTF is Biology 3? A &P?

I'm wondering this too. Most schools have two semesters of introductory biology and then more advanced classes that never are described as biology 3. Are you on a quarter system? What are the topics taught?

Edited: This is how it was at my university:
Intro Classes:
Biology I - Introduction to Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry
Biology II - Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology

Advanced Core Sequences:
Cell Biology
Genetics and Molecular Biology
Evolution and Ecology

If you can phrase your question in regards to the content, we might be able to post useful comments.

Last edited:
Did you just say you were a wiz because you got an A in bio 1 and 2? lol

Reactions: 1 user
WTF is Biology 3? A &P?
Nah man, at my undergrad and a handful of other Biology is a 3 semester series.

Biology 1- The Cell, Genetics and Molecular Biology
Biology 2- Animal Form and Function &Evolution
Biology 3- Plant Form and Function &Ecology

Nah man, at my undergrad and a handful of other Biology is a 3 semester series.

Biology 1- Cell Biology
Biology 2- Animal Form and Function and Evolution
Biology 3- Plant Form and Function and Ecology

That's very interesting. If the OP's curriculum matches what you have written above, I don't think taking Biology III and Genetics together should be a problem at all. The concepts don't overlap that much, except perhaps, should your school include a section on population genetics. I still think it would be very doable as population genetics can be learned quickly independent of transmission genetics at the individual level and other things you would typically learn in an introductory genetics course.

P.S. For those of of you with a three semester series, my school and all of those in my state combined biology 2/3 into a single semester labeled as "Biology 2." I am assuming this was the same with @Lifesucks , so now you can see why we were confused.

Lol apparently it is rare at my school... Not that I'm a genius or anything, the wiz comment was the words of my advisor.. Apparently ALOT of people fail bio at my college. My college is weird with bio and bio majors, everything in bio 1 is cellular level, bio 2 is all anatomy and physiology and bio 3 is like environmental, organismal, and ecological stuff. They require bio 3 and genetics before ANY Upper division biology/microbiology courses can be taken. They are considered upper division to non bio majors but to bio majors they are entry level courses.. It makes no sense to me either lol

Lol apparently it is rare at my school... Not that I'm a genius or anything, the wiz comment was the words of my advisor.. Apparently ALOT of people fail bio at my college. My college is weird with bio and bio majors, everything in bio 1 is cellular level, bio 2 is all anatomy and physiology and bio 3 is like environmental, organismal, and ecological stuff. They require bio 3 and genetics before ANY Upper division biology/microbiology courses can be taken. They are considered upper division to non bio majors but to bio majors they are entry level courses.. It makes no sense to me either lol

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but they know what they are teaching and might be able to be more helpful in giving you a detailed response. With that said, I am having a hard time imagining that you couldn't take genetics without the biology 3 class that you just described. This is bizarre to me.

Edited to add: So if your upper division classes are taught traditionally, I see no conceptual problems with your proposed schedule.

I'm meeting with my premed advisor today, so I'll know more then, but it blew my mind as well cause I thought bio3 was a pre req to genetics.. That's why it worried me. I know I can take these classes and pass then, but I am worried that my GPA will suffer

I'm meeting with my premed advisor today, so I'll know more then, but it blew my mind as well cause I thought bio3 was a pre req to genetics.. That's why it worried me. I know I can take these classes and pass then, but I am worried that my GPA will suffer

Seeing the advisor is best, but I don't think your GPA would suffer anymore than it would if you took biology III before genetics (i.e. in different semesters). With this said, do note that at some institutions, genetics is notorious for being rigorous and having low class averages (or at least it was at my school). As long as you understand things conceptually and don't memorize, you should be fine.

I'm what you would call an obsessive studier, so memorization is out of the question lol so I feel like I'll be fine, I just don't know if ill have time to study for everything that semester

Also, from what I've heard it is quite difficult. A friend of mine took it and said that the grading scale is curved to where an 80 is considered an A or something along those lines

Last edited: