Biology enzymes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted738762

I was reading cliffs bio and they had 1. Allosteric with activators and inhibitors 2. Competitive inhibition 3. Noncompetitive inhibition 4. Cooperativity

My question is as follows ... Is noncompetitive inhibition the same as allosteric inihibition? Since it binds to something other than the active site, in this case the allosteric site?

I know allosteric enzymes have 2 binding site, active & allosteric site. However do all enzymes follow this structure, hence why I think noncomp inhibition is the same as allosteric inhibition.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was reading cliffs bio and they had 1. Allosteric with activators and inhibitors 2. Competitive inhibition 3. Noncompetitive inhibition 4. Cooperativity

My question is as follows ... Is noncompetitive inhibition the same as allosteric inihibition? Since it binds to something other than the active site, in this case the allosteric site?

I know allosteric enzymes have 2 binding site, active & allosteric site. However do all enzymes follow this structure, hence why I think noncomp inhibition is the same as allosteric inhibition.

Thanks
I also had a very similar thought process. Can anyone else chime in?

from my understanding -> competitive, uncompetitive, and mixed inhibitors only apply to your basic Michaelis menton enzymes (one active site)

Allosteric enzymes are multisubunit enzymes with multiple active sites. they use effector molecules (activators and inhibitors) that can up regulate or down regulate activity.

So to answer your question, i do not think they are same thing although both bind to places other than the active. Allosteric inhibitors for allosteric enzymes (hemoglobin) and noncomp. inhibitors for typical michalies menton enzymes.

I hope this helps! remember for dat bio, breadth over depth. i didnt do that well on the bio section.

Dear SDNers correct me if I'm wrong cuz I'm not a biochemistry major and ive only taken biochemistry for nonmajors.

Thanks
Not entirely true. Non-competitive and Uncompetitive are both allosteric and must bind to different binding sites.
Competitive inhibitor competes with the substrate for the same binding site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not entirely true. Non-competitive and Uncompetitive are both allosteric and must bind to different binding sites.
Competitive inhibitor competes with the substrate for the same binding site.
Are the different binding sites, different allosteric sites?